Problem recuperating photos

Discussion in 'Software' started by Evanhoe, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Evanhoe

Evanhoe Private First Class

Good Morning All,

Our second Computer has Windows 98 SE operating system installed on it.In the "My Pictures" folder we have a few hundred Digital pictures shot with 2 different cameras (Kodak is not one of them).We however installed Kodak's Easyshare Program,and afterwards we decided to Uninstall this program.Now the problem is this,unlike our newer computer equipped with Windows XP Pro, when I open the My Pictures folder and Right Click a photo,I click "Open With" and I have a choice of using other Programs ie:"Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", "ATI Multimedia Center'' and others...Of course we*don't have this neat Feature in Win 98,but I wonder if there are other Free programs that would enable us to do something similar?Right now,all our pictures in My Pictures folder are locked in with the Kodak Icon, and can only be opened with their Program,which we find a Pain to use !Can anyone help with this or suggest an alternative?Thank you.

VAN

2. Andymac

Andymac Private E-2

have you tried holding shift then right clicking on the file you want to open then it should come up with a new option saying open with??? and use paint or something..a good program i found was mgi photosuite!! hope that helps!!

3. abri

abri MajorGeek

Can you open them using the Kodak, but after you save them, do an additional "save as" and rename them somename.jpg?
    I'm not sure what Kodak is doing to lock them, but I wonder if it's because of the name Kodak gives them. What names do they have now?
    abri

4. Andymac

Andymac Private E-2

what are the files saved as?? e.g something.jpg??

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

6. Evanhoe

AndyMack

In fact the're all .jpg.

VAN

7. Evanhoe

AndyMack

In fact the're all .jpg.

VAN

8. Evanhoe

Andymac,
    Your suggestion worked.In the Open With folder I had a Program called
    Win 98 Picture It,and I am able to open our photos with it.At the same
    time I'm able to get rid of the Kodak icon.Thanks a lot for your help

VAN

9. Evanhoe

Abri,
    I uninstalled the Kodak Easyshare Program.They were in fact .jpg.Kodak had it's own Icon,and I coul'nt open my photos unless I used their program! I think
    we've solved this for now (With Andymac's suggestion) and until I find a better (Free) program to do this !Thanks for you help.

VAN

10. tyke44

tyke44 Private E-2

Try Irfanview, a reasonable freebie for viewing.
    Picasa is also very good.

11. Evanhoe

Tyke44

Thanks, I already have Irfanview,I'll give it a try.As far as Picasa,will it work on Win 98se? I already have it on my Win XP Pro OS !

VAN

12. Evanhoe

I already have it on my Win XP Pro OS.I'm not sure it would run on our Win
    98se OS ! What do you think?

VAN

13. tyke44

tyke44 Private E-2

I don't think Picasa will run on less than 2000/xp.
    Another freebie that is quite a powerful prog, but not very user friendly and not for the faint hearted is "The Gimp".
    The "Photoshop Elements" series are good and the older version 2 is still sometimes bundled as a freebie so there might be some very cheap ones about.

14. Evanhoe

I think your right about Picasa.I have Photoshop Elements 2 on a CD,I'll try it later on.Yesterday I installed IrFanview,and it did the trick as far as that darn Kodak/Icon problem.There is a learning curve here,but it looks like it might be
    what we needed.Thanks for your help.

15. tyke44

tyke44 Private E-2

Glad to be of help. Elements 2 does have an uphill learning curve, but it's well worth the effort if you can get into it.
    contact me through..... www.hemingfield.co.uk if I can be of any further help.

16. Evanhoe

Tyke44,
    Thanks for the offer,will keep it in mind.Cheers.

VAN

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds