Problem reformatting HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mpudelko, Nov 15, 2006.

1. mpudelko

mpudelko Private E-2

I need to reformat my HDD, but when I run "format C:" I get the message that the "volume is used by another process. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (y/n). I respond yes and nothing happens. I have a 6 year old HP Omni Book with Pentium III processor. I had Win XP Pro SP1 and it had a multitude of problems (viruses, Trojans, etc.) It was also set up to be used in an office with a network, etc. (I don't know if that makes any difference or not). Anyway, I bought new software Win XP Home SP2. It recommends formatting the drive prior to installation. Since I couldn't reformat the drive, I installed it over the old Windows. I would like to know if anyone could help me?

Thanks for your patience. I have already gotten wonderful advice here from reading other threads.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you not have the option when installing xp (assuming you choose to boot from CD) ..to format the drive before installing?

3. mpudelko

mpudelko Private E-2

Tim:

Thanks for replying. Yes, I did. I was trying to reformat first (my first exposure to PC's was working in DOS). Everything is fine now and I am up and running.

Melanie

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds