Problem removing McAfee

Discussion in 'Software' started by KRRA552, Oct 18, 2009.

1. KRRA552

KRRA552 Private E-2

Hi All,

New to site - and very green, hopefully I'm in the right place. I have tried a couple of other forums with no success.

My problem is McAfee removal. My son got a laptop a couple of years ago and when it arrived it had a trial version of McAfee on it - all well until his speakers broke so it had to be returned to manufacturer for repair. when it was returned McAfee was gone!! No problems as I bought Kaspersky 2009 and it installed fine. This ran out last week and I bought Kaspersky 2010 but when trying to install - it came up with a conflict and told us that McAfee was still present on system and to remove it

Tried to remove all traces by downloading the McAfee removal tool but it just comes up saying removal unsuccessful. Tried to manually remove files by looking in program files but it will not let me delete the empty files. The OP is Windows Vista - can anyone offer any ideas - I'm at a total loss???

2. KRRA552

KRRA552 Private E-2

Thanks for this DomLuc will try this tonight and let you know.

3. KRRA552

KRRA552 Private E-2

Hi all,

Promised to let you know the outcome.

Unfortunately I have been unable to solve my problem - tried McAfee support,Dell support etc with no success. Currently on Windows Defender but will need to do something soon, just mad because I've paid for Kaspersky.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you are finding files and folders related to McAfee, then I suggest you use something like Avenger to remove them.

This is the way to do it:
    download The Avenger by Swandog469, and save it to your Desktop.

* Extract+ avenger.exe from the Zip file and save it to your desktop
    * Run avenger.exe by double-clicking on it.
    * -Do not change any check box options!!
    * Copy everything in the Quote box below, and paste it into the Input script here: part of the window:

* Now click the Execute button.
    * Click Yes to the prompt to confirm you want to execute.
    * Click Yes to the Reboot now? question that will appear when Avenger finishes running.
    * Your PC should reboot, if not, reboot it yourself.

Obviously, you need to put the found files under Files to delete and the folders found under Folders to delete.

5. titzlaroo

titzlaroo Private E-2

Having a similar problem. I'm going through the MALWARE REMOVAL GUIDE and have gotten to the ComboFix step. When I run ComboFix it says Mcafee is running. Here's what I've already done:

1. Mcafee removal tool

2. CCleaner

Is it safe to run ComboFix or should I dip my PC in acid to get rid of Mcafee first?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you open CCleaner, click on Tools in the left column then Startup.
    Look through all the entries until you discover what of McAfee is still running. Highlight it and disable it. Next run the McAfee Cleanup Tool again, then reboot.
    Have a 2nd look in CCleaner and hopefully the McAfee startup entry is no longer there.
    If it is gone, try running Combofix now.

7. titzlaroo

titzlaroo Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. Nothing involving Mcafee showed up.

I'm also having trouble running Root Repeal. I get an error at startup of which the details have numerous "Windows locked to the API" status messages. When I try to scan I get a "Could not initialize driver" error.

I think it may be easier to get rid of herpies.

8. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Hello, titzlaroo

* By-pass the running of RootRepeal and continue with the rest of the removal guide instructions. When you post with your attached logs, explain the errors or difficulties in running any of the tools.

PS: We prefer that you create your own new thread, rather than adding a post to an older already existing one from another member.

dr.m

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds