Problem renaming catroot2 folder during installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by jhayes, Dec 4, 2005.

1. jhayes

jhayes Private E-2

I woke up this morning to find the family computer turned off. It seems while my cousin was online the processor went to 100% usage and pretty much froze on him. So he had turned it off. When I went to load windows it was taking a minute and finally when I was prompted at the user screen it hung for another minute or so. When windows finally loaded I discovered my sound had gone out and and everything was greyed under the hardware settings. I had also recently had a problem with the machine shutting down due to some NT AUTHORITY Error and sub spooler app trying to connect. So I tried to install AVG to see if it was a worm. AVG cameback with an error because windows RPC wasn't enabled. So I went into services.msc to turn it on. Only the extended tab was goofed. So I select the standard tab and try to open the RPC properties to find that enabling was greyed. So at this point I decide I'm just going to wipe the entire thing. So I restart and set the bios to boot from xp off the cdrom. But instead of formating the disk I opt to see if windows repair would be of any help. After it checks the disk it restarts and up comes the windows installation screen. It does its thing until I get a fatal error. Error code 426. I do some googling and it's telling it has to do with the catroot2 file not being completely removed during installation. So at the error screen during installation I should open the dos prompt with shift+F10 and change the directory to C:\windows\system32 and then type rename catroot2 to catold. Though when I do I get "a duplicate file name was found and or the file cannot befound. So I try to delete the file altogether. That didn't work so I tried to delete the contents of the file as well and again nothing. I restarted to only get the same problem. So now it's just looping back to the error code 426 everytime I boot and there doesnt seem to be a way into windows.

System specs as follow:

AMD 3200+ Barton core
    Asus A87NE deluxe
    1GB DRR
    Antec 350w atx
    ATI 9800 pro

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

At the Recovery Console enter the following commands followed by enter:

CD \windows\system32\catold

del *.*

CD \windows\system32

rd \windows\system32\catold

ren C:\windows\system32\catroot2 C:\windows\system32\catold

exit

System will reboot

Now try a Repair Install

3. jhayes

jhayes Private E-2

Thank you for the suggestion but nothing seems to be working. I received the following errors for each command. I understand I need to specify c:\windows.

CD \windows\system32\catold

the system cannot find the path specified.

del *.*

'del *.* is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

the directory is not emptey

ren C:\windows\system32\catroot2 C:\windows\system32\catold

the syntax of the command is incorrect

I am trying to put the following into the cmd console from installation screen where I am getting the error? Is the recovery console something else?

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Try these

erase c:\windows\system32\catold\*.*

exit

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds