Problem replaceing Seagate HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wwwursa, Sep 7, 2006.

1. wwwursa

wwwursa Private E-2

I am attempting to replace a Seagate Barracuda ATA iii HD in a Compaq Deskpro EN slimline. It will take an identical Seagate HD with no problem. However, when I try 5 other HD's the computer recognizes them, tells me what kind of HD it is saves the HD configuration when I press the F! function key.

However, in every case I receive the following message
    NTLDR missing
    Press any key to start.

I have seen this message when a non-system floppy disk is in the A drive but there is none.

As soon as I put the Seagate HD in the system works .

Any suggestions?

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

You will have to format and install windows.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

How are you copying the old drive to the new one?

4. wwwursa

wwwursa Private E-2

I ma not copying from the original. These replacement computers already have on O/S on them and some data. I took them out of other computers that were all right.

I could probably reformat them but were wondering why I just can't substitute them for the Seagate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds