Problem Resetting BIOS After Battery Change

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axelbrora, Sep 29, 2013.

1. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

I thought it was a simple job to change the CMOS battery as my clock was losing about five minutes a day, but now that I have changed it I have a load of problems as follows.

When I boot up I now get an ASUS screen then taken to a message stating "CHIP FAN FAIL or speed too low" and need to press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup.

I have also lost my sound.

In Device Manager I have two exclamation marks for unknown devices. ACPI\PNPB006 and ACPI\PNPB0ZF are the details listed in properties.

System Info

ASUS-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS REVISION 1015, 21/10/2005
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 - 64bit
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
    Memory 3GB

I have worked out how to clear the CMOS from the ASUS website and have been doing so by powering down removing the power cable and changing the jumper for ten seconds then putting it back.

I do not seem to be loading the saved BIOS settings and I select "LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS". After selecting, confirming and then pressing F10 confirming "save these configuration settings and exit" I am taken back to the original screen with the error message, F1 to continue etc. and nothing has changed still no sound, unknown devices etc.

I have tried this three or four times with the same result. The only thing that changes is that the clock always reverts back about eight years even although I have previously reset it in Windows so I must be succeeding in clearing the CMOS each time. If I reset the clock in the BIOS settings it is then correct in Windows so I must also be saving the BIOS changes.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Axel

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Check your chipset fan "small fan in middle of motherboard" hasn't been pulled out or is spinning, pull the plug out anyway, blow it out and push it back in firmly.

Check your other fans are spinning and connected firmly.

If your chipset fan is working, enter bios and look for a setting to disable disable chipset fan fail warning.

Do you have a soundcard connected or are you using onboard sound? Enter bios, integrated peripherals or onboard device and enable onboard sound or ac97 save and exit, if your using a sound card disable it.

It's possible you've put the wrong battery in or it's dead, make a note of your clock time in bios, disconnect the computer from the AC, press the power button to drain remaining power, reconnect, power up and check your clock again, if it's wrong there's a problem with battery.

It's also possible you've got the jumper in the wrong position so triple check the instructions then try starting the computer with the jumper in what you think is the reset to see if your bios saves the changes.

Did you check the voltage of the old battery? Your battery wouldn't cause you to lose five minutes, if power was lost even for a short time your clock would reset to the factory date, check the voltage of the new battery also with a multimeter, they should both be around 3V.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Batteries, like all power supplies, need to be tested under a realistic load. So a battery can check good with a multimeter but fail when placed back in circuit. While rare, I have had new batteries be DOA.

Did you unplug the computer from the wall before pulling or replacing the battery the first time? Did you touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge static in your body before reaching in every time?

4. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

All sorted, thanks for the replies.

Axel

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Could you let us know how? It it's none of the aforementioned we may learn something:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds