Problem Saving .jpg Images

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amon, May 12, 2004.

1. Amon

Amon Private E-2

I'm using XP Pro.
    Whenever I save a .jpg image from a website, in order for it to save correctly, I have to type in the .jpg extension. Looking at the save box, it comes up with JPEG(*jpg) automatically, but it's actually saving them as .jpeg.
    Also, when I save pictures in the same folder, the previous pictures aren't listed in the "Save Picture As" pop-up box, unless I saved them as .jpg. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I need to number the images sequentially, and it can be a real pain in the patootey sometimes. Especially when you consider the fact that I sometimes save over 300 at a time! (If curious why so many, check out my site @ www.captiongallery.com)
    Does anyone know how to tweek XP Pro so that I don't have to type in .jpg for every image I save? Or is it just something I'm going to have to deal with?
    By the way, Win 98 worked to perfection on this issue.
    Thanks in advance for any info/advice you have.

...Dan

2. Amon

Amon Private E-2

Hi robo.
    Thanks for the welcome, and the reply. I tried out the suggestion you offered, but I'm still having the same issue with viewing.
    But the main thing I'm looking for is a way to save the images as .jpg without having to type .jpg after the image name every time. I've used Google to check around the net to see if others were having the same problem, and I've actually came across quite a few people in the same boat, but I've never seen a solution anywhere.

...Dan

3. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I run XP Pro & I've never come across this issue myself. I see where it saves as a .jpeg file, but when I open it in PSP, PS or any other image program it opens with the .jpg tag. I really don't have a clue as to why it would be doing this for you or others. I'm gonna look around to see if can find some more info on this. It intrigues me actually. ;) Now I want to know why. hehe

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

There are 3 different JPEG formats .JPEG .JPG and .JPE they are all the same format but the 3 lettered ones are for the older OSes that dont handle extentions longer than 3 letters thats why 98 was ok it just saved as the .JPG extention. Seems as if the three of them or at least the two most common ones are fighting for whos the default!

only thing I can think of upto now is to change the default application that those files open with to the one that opens the .jpg files ok.. so if its got a .jpeg extention right click and select open with and pick the app the .jpg's open with and set it as default.

or go into explorer and choose Tools > Options > File Types locate the .jpg extention and set it as default ( to do this highlight and click advanced )

I dont have the same issue you have soo a backup or system restore point would be a good idea before trying.

5. Amon

Amon Private E-2

Hey guys and/or gals

Thanks for the replies. I knew about the different .jpg extensions, but didn't know that the three letter extensions were for the older OS's. I guess I'll just need to suffer with this problem. Oh well.
    Maybe I'll just put together a different PC with 98 on it for my web development.
    Thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions, though!

...Dan

6. Tarstan

Tarstan Private E-2

Try going to Tools/Internet Options/ Delete files and run that. I know had the same problem once and could only save as .bmp but I ran that and it cleared it up.

7. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Arguably .jpeg is more correct, so that might be the reason for Window's behavior.

Why not simply run a batch renaming on your .jpegs? "rename *.jpeg *.jpg"?

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

On my Windows 98 system saving a picture as JPEG (.jpg) without appending .jpg saves the file with a .jpg extension.

Perhaps your file association/mime types are incorrect. Open My Computer/View/Folder Options... and then select File Types tab, locate JPEG in the list ant then Edit... You should see something similar to the attachments. Follow through with the subsequent edit button.

There is also the loss of file association for opening and saving JPEG in MS Paint: http://www.geocities.com/one_human/...tml#mspaint_fix which may help also restore some issues.

Attached Files:

9. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds