problem setting uo new pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laserbrain, Dec 28, 2004.

1. laserbrain

laserbrain Private E-2

i got my abit nf72 today from newegg. i havent yet recieved my 3200xp+ and decided to install my new mobo using the cpu i have (xp2100). i put all my hard drives, dvdrom, ram etc back onto the mobo. i did what the manual told me and cleared the cmos etc and triple checked everything was connected prperly. so heres the thing, at the boot screen after mem test etc, i get a message saying 'missing operating system'. this puzzles me as the operating sys is on the primary hd to which it is set. i take it my cpu is supported. what else could be the problem?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Are you sure the cables to the hard drive and jumpers are setup correctly? Your bios will show you what drives are detected. I know you said they were, but thats my only guess. That message makes me think its looking at a hard drive with no data on it. Try getting a single drive hooked up first. This is worth a double triple check.

3. laserbrain

laserbrain Private E-2

well the only prob is that i had to un-set the other pc up and set up my old one again so i could post this. the bios definately said that my hd with the os on it was primary master. the other hd, which i just use for music, was prim slave.

4. bstill

bstill Private E-2

do you get a error when it boots like ntfs not found or somtthing like that?

5. bstill

bstill Private E-2

if you getan error like bootstrap missing youll have to fdisk and reinstall since you have your old working you can back up easily if this is not an option borrow an xp pro 2600 disk and try repair option in it

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'll go with Major Attitude on this one -- your system is looking to the wrong drive for the operating system. I'd suggest that you boot into something simple (DOS or Win 9x would be good) and run FDISK to see what drives the BIOS is seeing and which letters they are given. No need to make any changes to any drives at this point.

Once you have that information, go into your BIOS setup and make sure that the right drive is identified as your boot drive.

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Another problem may arise, taking HDD from one system with windows loaded to another system most likely there will be conflict of chipset drivers etc.
    Need to reformat and reinstall the OS.

8. laserbrain

laserbrain Private E-2

ok well thatnks for the help guys. ill wait til my 3200 gets here. in the meantime i might shift all my important stuff over the D drive then do a fresh install make backups etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds