Problem setting up Win7-64 restore point(s)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Niky, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Computer: Asus M2N-SLI mb, AMD Athlon 3800+ cpu, 2G ram, Win7-64 opsys, stand alone/no network [other than inet connection].

In trying to setup a system restore point, I access sys recovery, and I am directed to "open system restore;" "Restore system files and settings" says "no restore points have been established" and directs me to open "System protection." When I attempt this step I get an error message/box saying "There was an unexpected error in the property page ... try again," and the system properties/system protection page is showing w/ all options greyed out. Searching around in this error environment I come across Event ID errors #26 and #12292 in an event log. Googled these error codes and got a lot of info that either doesn't seem to apply to my situation, or I can't understand.

Didn't have this problem in XP; just selected "set restore point" and everything fell into place. Any help in setting up a restore point for this machine will be much appreciated.

...robert

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

3. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Unfortunately, the move from the "system protection" option to the "system properties/system protection" page doesn't work. That's my problem. I know how to follow menus, and in this particular case the menus lead to error boxes and program stops. Again, when on the control panel/system page, selecting "system protection" generates an error box saying that "...there was an unexpected error in the property page... please close the property page and try again." Getting rid of that box and attempting to "OK" the system properties page leads to "Could not rescan the drives for the following reason: System restore encounter an error. Please... try again." Several "again's" lead down the same path. Something is set up wrong, there's a parameter that's wrong, or whatever. Short of random clicking, I'm stumped. Let's try again. Thanks.
    ...robert

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Plodr...

BINGO! Now working as advertised. Thanks much. If you can say so briefly, how did you know this? Is it in the opsys help files anywhere, and/or can it be found easily on the MS site? I'd like to know the details of what this is about. Again, thanks.

...robert

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I did not know. When someone posts a problem, I start researching, reading threads and tossing out the threads with posts that seem too crazy. When I find one or two that seem to make sense and solved the problem for someone, I post a link or two.
    I'm glad that solution was the one that worked for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds