Problem Upgrading Ram for Sony Vaio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChYnO, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ChYnO

ChYnO Private E-2

Hey guys I bought a G.SKILL Value 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) from newegg to upgrade a Sony Vaio VGC RB40. The default ram specs that are installed in it is show in this picture http://i.imgur.com/srFmy.png. When I went and installed the new RAM, and then turned on the computer I did not get any video out neither did it boot up at all. I put back in the old RAM to see if it was the slots that were bad or something else, and the computer worked fine.

At first I thought the RAM I bought is not compatible with the desktop motherboard. I did more research and it should work, also I went by this website http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGC-RB40%20Series&Cat=RAM to guide me in what kind of RAM I needed. I updated the BIOS on the computer and nothing happened. Two weeks ago I formatted the hard drive with a new windows XP, and everything is working perfectly.

I tried putting one RAM at a time in all four different slots and still did not boot up, just the fan and the light of the motherboard turned on. Then I try to leave one old RAM and new RAM in, it did boot up but the screen was scrambled. I guess this means that both RAMs are not compatible to work with each other.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? My last thought is that these new RAM are bad.

Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. Maximum memory 2GB.
    2. Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.
    3. Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Did you buy a 2 GB stick or two 1GB sticks? It isn't clear from your first sentence.
    A 2GB stick will not work. The three sentences above are directly from Crucial's site for VGC RB40 model. You need 2 1GB sticks and you can not use your old RAM with it because the maximum RAM you can install is 2GB total.

3. ChYnO

ChYnO Private E-2

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds