Problem with a USB mass storage device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mojtaba5, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mojtaba5

mojtaba5 Private E-2

hey there,

i have a problem with my 1 G USB removable drive, I am not able to explore or open it, I tried all methods to open the device but instead it gives me (please insert a disk into drive H) which is the message usually appears when trying to open an empty CD Rom.

In My Computer the drive looks normal and the computer recognizes it as a removable disk not a CD Rm and under properties it shows it as a removable disk but both the free and used space shows zero as if it was an empty CD Rom.

I tried to format it using the original format methods and it gives me (there is no disk in drive H, insert a disk and try again), the same goes when trying to format it using Dos Command Prompt.

This problem appeared immediately when I got a new USB Hub with five USB slots and after trying the removable drive on it simultaneously with a USB modem inserted on the Hub.

Every USB device I got is working fine on that hub including an extra removable Drive that I got, except for the above mentioned drive which I tried on the Hub for the first time and did not work since then. This drive also gives me the same problem and messages on other computers that I tried to run or format the drive on them, some running with vista, others with xp.

I tried many methods to solve this problem including, changing drive letters, restarting the computer, and not using the USB Hub and others,

Any help?

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

I think you answered the question I was going to ask and that was have you tried it on another computer which you have. Is it one of those drives that has a lock on the drive to protect the data so it cannot be re written?

3. mojtaba5

mojtaba5 Private E-2

no it’s a simple removable 1 GB drive doesn’t contain any switches or locks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds