Problem with bootup/help pls/how it began

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deb, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Deb

Deb Private E-2

I have two other threads going from yesterday so if you are interested they all fit with this one.

I am running Windows 98 4.10.1998, Dell Pentium 11, 256 MB RAM (Verto Geforce 4 MX440) CD ROM:CenDyne CD-ReWritable 52x24x52x, I also have a ZIP100

I all began when the office manager turned on the computer and saw the dos screen saying something about a disk in the CD drive. She took that out then had questions similar to those stated below. I told her to run the Gladiator AV and it detected the EMPIRE virus in a file. In addition, it stated there was risk with the rogue spear patch. I deleted both files when I got home. Email was disabled. Oh, the AVG program I had was disabled and no longer was found in the startup bar. I could not run it from the desktop icon either.

I ran virus checks and trojan checks last night using housecall and The Cleaner. The original scan using housecall which gave me a TSC error.

This program has performed an illegal operationand will be shut down. Details showed and invalid page fault in module TSC.EXE I ran it again and now it said all was ok. No virus's or trojans were detected butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt there are still problems. I uninstalled the AVG and reinstalled it this morning. The icon is now in the startup bar.

I decided to write exactly what happens when I turned my machine on 2/15/03. BTW now I cant turn it off with start, shut down, shut down. Added bonus which began today.

AVG ran at bootup and said no viruses were found.

got past the microsoft flag window and on to the black screen with white letters which stated:

Can't find a device file that may be need to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file but it no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the assoc application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the applic ssoc with this device file try reinstalilng that application to replae the missing file.

C:\progra~1\symantec\symevnt.386

press any key to continue
    SYMTDI.VXD
    press any key
    C:\progra~1\Norton~1\NAVAP.VXD
    press any key

now blue screen with login and password

now icons on desk top (appears ok)

The Cleaner went to work and I got a notice
    Windows registry change
    screen said fix registry (TC monitor program with cleaner)

It said, I can examine the regisry deys assoc with running programs and scripts. I will repair these deys if they have been changed and i can also disavle VB script and Jscript exeution. do you want me to do that? I said yes

Registry Scan results
    red dot with X .....unable to scan the registry file/autorun
    OK

Microsoft Direct X Media 6.0 Patch screen
    red dot with X.....command line option syntax error. Type /? for help. I typed that and all I got were dings.

I tried outlook express and there were screens that popped up asking for my login info

i tried internet explorer
    warining with triangle and ! Drivr (CORE) not found winerr=2

Then, Error init AVG
    AVG detects a serious problem at startup
    NO )*)$@#%^W !

AVG libraries may not be installed or arernot compatible. Reinstal AVG to solve

I uninstalled but could not do it via control panel

I redownloaded AVG antivirus. When it told me to restart the computer to finish the installation it just hung. That is me..hung.

the next advice was create a NAVC rescue disk

I am currently trying to do that but the directions are in DOS I think. You can view them at a link in one of my other threads.

I have downloaded NAVC10.EXE and am trying to follow the directions.

is this sounding familiar to anyone?

LOTS of help is GREATLY appreciated.

I'm just doing puter time in Walla Walla.

Sorry for any spelling goofs, I wanted to get it to you asap.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ok, this looks like one fubared computer!

if it were me id reformat!

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ok, i think maybe it would pay to re-install OS before going any further, that would fix a few problems, and probably fix the registry too. im just looking it up.
    do you have your win98 disk with you? a bootable one that is. If so you can open in command prompt mode, and run windows setup with a parameter. i think its somthing like ng? but ill check that for sure, and give you some better instructions.

Also, for now, try going Run,

scanregw /fix

see what that does

Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

i know, but it has been done, i know. I did it to my mate, AVG had died, he used to have ME (curse) and we managed to fix it.
    Its worth a try, come on!

5. Deb

Deb Private E-2

bummer it didnt work..

I did the run, scanregw/fix and i got that freakin red dot with the famous x which says

cant find scanregw/fix (or one of its components)

As for reformatting, that is surely a last resort. I may have to find some whiskey and call my Mom for support (she is a computer wizard also) Heck, maybe we could drink together!

I'll wait for a few more replies.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

looks like that virus is really screwing with you. or somthing.....?

seriously, reformatting is probably the only way to go...:(

What kind of computer is it? home build, custom build, pc-shop. do you have a recovery disk with it?

Id start backing up now, if i were you. you might also want to virus scan everything you back up too, sometimes they end up giving your new clean install the virus again............

BTW make sure there is a space between the scanregw and the /fix, or it will do that

7. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Firstly, I do believe the command you are looking for is

START -> RUN ->

Scanreg /restore

That will restore the registry to the last known good configuration (Or to the last time it was backed up). If it has been a while since this problem has started, it may be that the backup registry is corrupt.

My suggestion would be, use a Boot Floppy disk (If you dont have one, create one or ask how to) and re-boot into DOS with CD-Rom support. Then run Setup from your Windows CD. That will reset the registry back to square one (Hopefully solving a few file problems along the way)

The Symevnt error is to do with Norton. I would assume you had Norton Anti-Virus at some point in the past. Restoring the registry by re-installing Windows should cure this also. If not, try using JV16 or Reg Cleaner to remove invalid registry entries once it has been restored. (Will post links if required - but you can easily find them on the front page of MG)

The advice to reformat and re-install is often touted as the best way to solve almost any problem you may have. It is very true, but a lot of people (Myself included) don't always have full system back-ups to rely on for all our saved files/game saves/MP3 downloads etc. In this case, a simple install over the top of Windows is often sufficient to solve most difficulties.

I hope you get your problem sorted.

8. Deb

Deb Private E-2

back after midwifing 9 pups

OK, now that my Lab has finished having her pups I can get back to fixing the computer. I will try the fix from fishy with the scanreg then do try the start run scanreg restore. I still have some pictures to upload to my website www.aldebaranlabradors.com (proud grandma) then I will try to reboot. I have never done that before. I do have a bootdisk and I assume I just stick it into the drive and turn the computer on right? I'm sure I'll ask more Q's after I look at the disks. By the way, I do not have a restore disk. Bummer. How can I make one when I get the puter back to working?

Thanks for your help!

The Labrador Lady in Walla Walla

9. ched

ched Private E-2

eru (Emergency Recovery Utility) program will back up and restore (actually the restore command is erd). If you don't have it on your harddrive, you can find it on your 98 CD.

......... and congrats on the pups;-)

10. Naxias

Naxias Private E-2

By the first few errors you list I suspect you at one point had Norton antivirus installed on your system. It does sound like you have numerous issues going on on your system however, and it most likely wont resolve all of them but Symantec has a removal utility that could be a good starting point in resolving these problems. Once you have uninstalled it completely. You should at least be able to make it to the desktop to look into the other issues. This link discuss' its abilites as well as provides a download link for the utility.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument

Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  11. Deb

Deb Private E-2

Naxias problems with uninstall

I used the link you provided. Thanks. Unfortunately I still could not get it uninstalled. My DOS screen errors are the same as listed above. I was able to download the RNAV2003.exe to my desktop. As it ran, I did not see the progress indicator go up like it was working although it did say the removal was complete

The remove NAV from Task sched: I followed the directions start, program, accesories, system tools, sched tasks and as I clicked on sched tasks it put me into c:internet explorer with all the files listed. Bizzare. I ended up going into my startup bar and deleting it from my scheduled tasks there.

To remove registry entries for the virus definitions:
    start, run, regedit, ok
    it asked are you ssure you want to add info in to the registry
    It was weird because there were too many spaces between the in and to (see two lines above). Once I clicked yes it said,
    registry error, red circle with x, cannont import: error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error. No %$^^^^#^(&*!
    I could do no more.

To delete definitions folder from hard drive:
    win explorer, del symantec shared.
    This mission was completed

To remove symredir registry entries:
    could not open registry editor so this mission failed.

To remove symredir from hard drive entries:
    win explorer, delete symantec folder and symantec shared folders. Mission completed.

Unfortunately still had same error at boot up. **^$)($!!!!!!!

How frustrating. I'm off to weigh my pups and watch some braindead TV programming. I will try the reboot idea tomorrow if I am lucky.

If I reboot using a disk and the registry is changed back to original format, will I lose anything off my computer? I imagine I will have to reinstall all my programs, right?

Enough for now. See ya.

12. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I have one question that may be of use once you get the thing fixed: Are you running 2 anti-virus programs? You mentioned Gladiator and AVG. I know you should not run them both at the same time, but I wonder if it's okay to have them both, and run them at seperate times. Anyone know?

Anyway, this probably won't help you at this point, looks like you are gonna get good at all sorts of geeky stuff.

I'm sure you and your mother could have quite a few drinks during this whole thing, may as well make a good time out of it.

Stop over in the lounge and say hello, you can join in the craziness and get sane again after the computer drives you out of your mind!!! Nice meeting you, have fun here at Major Geeks!!

Eric

13. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Wow, cute puppies!!

My wife was gushing over the pictures! Your website is great, it looks like you guys have alot of fun with your dogs!! Keep us posted on them AND the computer!!!

Eric and Cindy

14. Deb

Deb Private E-2

back in the saddle again

well tonite is the big night. I am going to try to reset the registry with my bootdisk. Hope it all works. Deb

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds