Problem with changeover to DSL with static IP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Odyssey, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Odyssey

Odyssey Private E-2

We have been suffering with a microwave feed as the only internet source faster than a dialup available to us in our location. Thankfully a local telephone provider has just installed a fibre optic feed.

We have a WiFi system that we broadcast to our guests which will need two static IP's and I am changing our office computer system over to Linux and have taken a fixed IP for remote access.

Our current set up is as follows:
    -microwave feed comes into an ethernet converter box via large cable (LS400?)
    -from converter box, an ethernet cable connects to a hub
    -from hub, one ethernet connects to a power injector for the WiFi and another ethernet cable connects to a router which feeds our office lan.

We have two linux (Ubunutu) computers and one remaining XP Home windoze computer sharing the internet connection. All three computers are set up for DCHP self-configuration and all working well, if slowly, under the microwave feed.

I unplugged the ethernet cable from the hub at the router and plugged in the ethernet cable from the optic fibre NID (Network Interface Device), but cannot now connect to the Internet. The telephone company reconfirms that they tested the connection and that it is working, so assuming that it is. should the DCHP automatically detect the new feed or does the introduction of fixed IP's mean that manual configuration is going to be necessary?

If the latter, can anyone give me some guidance on this? If not this, any ideas?

2. Odyssey

Odyssey Private E-2

Further to my post, and hopefully to clarify, I meant to be asking if the router will need to be reconfiged to recognize a static IP number, rather than it acting dynamically as the IP# changes?

3. Tater

Tater Tot

Not an expert here, but it sounds like the router would have to be reconfigured. You might want to post the brand and model of the router so someone can help with that.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes your gonna have to set you main router for the new static ip, and configure your router to continue to do dhcp to all machines.

5. Odyssey

Odyssey Private E-2

Thanx for these. Will post the router info when I get to the office.

6. Odyssey

Odyssey Private E-2

The router is a D-link EBR-2310. Have d/l'd the instruction manual and will read, but if anyone has any experience with this or similar routers and can give me any guidance, it will be gratefully received. I am a newbie at this.

7. Odyssey

Odyssey Private E-2

The manual looks pretty straightforward, so will consider this thread closed. If I run into a prob, will start a new thread. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds