Problem with Ghostery download ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoeN, Apr 3, 2013.

1. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Tried to download the latest version of the Ghostery Plugin for IE (3.0.0) today, my Avast AV stopped the download with the following info "WIN32:Crossrider-B (PUP)". The download was from the Ghostery website, I also tried downloading from a couple of other sites with the same results. I am wondering why Avast considers this a PUP (potentially unwanted program) or is this really a virus.
    I currently have this version of Ghostery Plugin (2.4.2) installed with NO problems, Ghostery for FF (latest version) is installed also with NO problems.
    Any ideas ???

Thanks

2. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

3. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Please read original post - FF Ghostery add-on works fine - it is the new version for Internet Explorer that has a problem -

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

5. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Sikvik, I had tried the link you posted in the past and again just now with the same results, and I have the same version of Avast as you posted with definitions up to date, as soon as I try to download version 3.0.0, Avast kicks in with the PUP warning.

Could see if you have PUPs enabled in Avast under "settings - actions" in the File System Shield and Web Shield ?

Thanks

Joe

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Yes, enabled in both. "Abort connection'' for the Web Shield and "Move to Chest" for the File System Shield.

Cheers..

7. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Thanks Sikvik, I have submitted a troubleshooting form to Avast Tech support - I'll let you know where that goes -

On the Ghostery site I have found a number of people with the same problem, using a number of different AV programs, Avast included -

Joe

8. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Still waiting to hear back from Avast tech -

Same problem when trying to download Ghostery plugin 3.0.0

9. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Info update: Avast tech support says there is NO problem with the Ghostery plugin for IE version 3.0.0 -

Joe

10. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Update, new version of Ghostery Plugin for IE 3.1.0 downloaded and installed with NO problems

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds