Problem with Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sping, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Sping

Sping Private E-2

I'm trying to install guild wars. When I click install I get this error.

could not open data\GW\gwsetup.exe -update [0]

Any idea what is causing this? I'm on XP if it matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

What anti-virus, firewall, and similar, are you running? Make sure they don't see the file as a false positive and are blocking it.

3. Sping

Sping Private E-2

You're a genius. It was my Anti virus for some reason. I'm using avast. How can I set it to allow Guild Wars?

4. Mimsy

Not really... It's item five in this post. ;)

I have GuildWars and Avast, and at least back when I played regularly I had no problems... let me get back over to Windows I'll get back to you on how I have it set up. Mind posting some details on your Avast version while I dig around?

EDIT:
    Okay, in windows XP and in Avast.

Go to Settings, and to Exlucions, and tell Avast to ignore the "problem file" by clicking Add and putting in the file path to the problem file, and then click "okay". That should make Avast ignore that file from here on.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. Sping

Sping Private E-2

Thank you so much for your help.

6. Mimsy

That worked? Great! Enjoy GW! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds