Problem with IE & World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Apr 4, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

XP Home SP2.... IE works fine, goes online nice and fast until I start WoW. Then WoW tries to download the patches; they download OK, but then I get a message "Waiting for files to close..." and the files NEVER close. If I close that out, and try to use IE to get online, IE opens (homepage is set for Yahoo) and some of the time the big red Yahoo appears, but usually it doesn't. It's just a blank white screen and the lower left corner says "waiting for http://www.yahoo.com". If I reboot, IE will work fine until I start WoW again, and then it's the same thing.confused I've tried reloading WoW, IEFix, sfc /scannow, and Dial-A-Fix. Any help, ideas or suggestions will be appreciated!!!

hopperdave2000

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Wow uses a bit torrent type distribution for patches I believe. Bittorrent opens a fair amount of connections to your pc. If you bittorrent anything else say large linux iso using a normal torrent program does ie have similar problems. I have heard early versions of the nforce 4 boards with the built in firewall enabled can choke on large amounts of connections ie bitorrent or p2p, perhaps thats the case.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Hmmmmmm.... this mobo does have an NVidia nForce chipset..... that's something I'll have to look into. Anybody else have any other ideas? This is driving me nuts! Everything was working OK until about 5 days ago. Maybe one of the WoW patches jacked up my registry to where removing WoW doesn't undo the registry change.... I don't know. There's very little (if any) help at the WoW support page, but I'll keep researching. So- anybody? Help? Please?

hopperdave2000

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Anybody have any ideas? Has anyone seen this before? Maybe I'll reload the OS; a safe install..... I'd rather not though.... Oh- the PC doesn't have any torrent client software of any type installed, and never has.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds