Problem with LAN, possibly network adaptor or new modem/router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by avz10, Oct 29, 2013.

1. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

I have a 2.80 GHz Intel Core i5-2300, 64 bit, Windows 7 Ultimate desktop with a modem/router as well as a router that covers the further part of the house. We have quite a few laptops.

When the trouble started, I had a Netgear DGN2000 modem/router connected with an ADSL line to the desktop and an Airlive router, also connected with an ADSL line to the Netgear. The Airlive stopped working and I replaced it with a TRENDnet TEW-736RE which from the start we had trouble with-the connection was erratic, etc. Once this problem is fixed, I will start with that one.

Just after installing the TRENDnet TEW-736RE, my troubles started. The internet on the desktop either was very slow or there was no internet.

With the help of my ISP and numerous changes in settings, we could not get any internet on the desktop. BUT, we found that with an ADSL line connected to the Netgear or wireless, I could get a good signal on my laptop.

I then bought a TP-Link TD-W8960N modem/router, but the same problem persists. Good wireless to all the laptops, occasional or no internet on the desktop and sometimes even fast internet on the desktop.

With regards to the modem/router, if the light (indicated with the white line) is not on, there is no internet at all to the desktop and laptops. I usually check the lines then, but to no effect.

[​IMG]

That light is not even indicated in the guideline:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this case, the modem/router and desktop was off for an hour, the light is burning, but no internet at the desktop and laptop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no idea what is going on. I am not sure if it is the network adaptor of the desktop, or the wireless modem/router or anything else.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'm a little unclear as to how your desktop is connected to the router, is it via a lan/cat5 cable from the router to the desktop, is that what you mean by desktop network card? First connect a laptop via the lan cable in place of the desktop, if it doesn't work there's a problem with your broadband for your ISP to fix which I doubt, if it works perfectly it looks like you have a DNS problem with just your desktop.

So just confirm the laptops work perfectly via lan cable then I'll try figure out the DNS problem on your desktop.

3. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply.

The desktop is connected with the modem with a lan cable. I then connected the laptop with the modem also with a lan cable and the laptop was working fine.

So, the problem must be with the desktop and as you stated, a DNS problem.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

In the windows search box type

cmd

Right click and run as administrator, type

ipconfig/flushdns

Now try the internet on the desktop

Next in the command prompt type

Nslookup

This should match your ISP, if not post the information written in the box.

If it still doesn't work while in the command prompt type

ping google.com

and post result.

From now on whenever your internet runs slow on the desktop go to speedtest.net and run the test to confirm it's slow.

Download and install google chrome and use that from now on, in the the settings make sure your one and only search provider is google, open settings, manage search engines, set google and only google as search provider.

If you would like to continue testing with firefox or IE make sure your search provider is google and when you type and address it states "google search" and not a browser redirect.

Make sure you haven't installed any firewall's or other software that provides a dns service,make sure realtime protection or sand box modes are disabled .If you have or your not sure uninstall all your security software and use the windows firewall and microsoft security essentials.

Let me know how you get on.:)

5. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

Thanks!

It worked like a dream!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds