Problem with laptop not booting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HECK, Sep 7, 2009.

1. HECK

HECK Corporal

Alright guys,

I have an acer laptop here, its an older one and it has served me well. One day it just stopped working. As far as the pc screen not turning on. It does load up and what not , just nothing displays on the screen. I tried to put it on another monitor via the video out and nothing on that neither. But that could be because I dont have it setup to display out of that port.

I bought one of those POST code readers for the PCI slot and it does give me a code but I'm not sure on what BIOS/MB is in the unit. So I cannot decode the codes.

Is there anything else I can do to get this old thing running?
    Edit/Delete Message

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

model? so I can search for what key combo to turn on external display.

What post beeps are you hearing?
    It could be the video chip died.

3. HECK

HECK Corporal

I think it might be the video, I looked on ebay and I see MBs for sale that say dead video..

Is it possible to replace it? haha. Its an acer aspire 5100.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Probably not. Most laptops use an onboard video chip, not a replaceable card.

Fn + F5 will turn on the external display. Also try Fn + F6 just to be sure the backlight on the display is not turned off. Fn and ------> turns the brightness up so try that too just to be sure the display was not set really dim.

5. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

try checked in motherboard

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds