Problem with launching Media Center

Discussion in 'Software' started by kwyjibo, Nov 6, 2005.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

Hey, you guys are great at helping people out with computer problems (saved my ass more than a few times) but I've got a problem now I have no idea how to fix. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop, with Media Center 2002 installed. I recently updated it to the A05 bios, which unfortunately has given me a bunch of cooling problems so I had to install I8kfanGUI to manually control the fan settings.

But back to the real problem. Yesterday, I popped in a DVD, and normally this causes Media Center to start up. Instead, I got this message:

ehshell.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
    Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
    Process id=<different number/letter each time> Thread id =<different number/letter each time>

I went to the microsoft support site, and it gave me this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820121

Basically, it tells me I need to install a new service pack to fix it. However, when I went to the page that tells me how to do this, as I already have service pack 2 installed, I got this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/

I'm stumped at this point. Any suggestions on how to fix this, other than sternly telling my laptop to stop acting like it has something better to do than disobey me? Perhaps I should destroy a floppy disk in front of it to send it a message. At this point, it might just be worth trying.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds