Problem with "lost" space on Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimobasa, Oct 4, 2008.

1. jimobasa

jimobasa Private E-2

I have a 250 GB Hard Drive (brand new) which is mysteriously divided into two sections. I am running Vista on an 80 GB section. The other section marked Unallocated (152.46 GB) is visible in Disk Management but none of the usual options are available New Simple Volume etc
    I cannot access this section at all. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

You should start Disk Management with elevated privilege - ie RunAs Administrator. Vista should then allow any hardware changes to take place. :)

3. okietechnician

okietechnician Private E-2

Already tried to format it from Disk management?? Just guessing it may not give the statistics til its formatted. At least you see a partition. Do you want to put something separate on that partition of do you want the whole drive to be used by Vista? It is also possible to resize the vista partition to take up the entire hard drive space. Just suggestions :)

4. Texian

Texian Private E-2

Have any of the posted suggestions helped?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds