Problem with my Wireless Network and New Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ardabus, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Hey Everyone,

I just replaced my old router (a belkin 54g) with a D-Link DIR-820L Wireless AC1000 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router.

I moved the router to a central location in my house, as before i needed it close to my studio in order to download anything or get a good connection at all. Now with the new router, my internet barely works in the studio, it took 35 seconds for google to load at all. I've been continually doing speed tests to try and gauge my speeds and too see what the problem is, but i get anywhere from 1-14mbps down and .08-1.2mbps up.... completely sporadic. Sometimes it takes upwards of a minute for the ookla page to even load at all.

The router is about 30 feet away from the room i'm in, with almost a direct line of sight to the router. The computer is at the far end of the room, so it might be up to 50feet away. It said it could work up to 200feet i believe.

I've been trying to stream HBOGO and it plays for maybe 5 minutes, buffers for 2 minutes or stops altogether. Web pages take forever to load, my torrent speeds used to be super fast (1.2-1.8mbps), now it's anywhere from 25-300kbps. My connection has full bars and it says excellent.

Should i be able to stream things and download with high speeds with the setup i've explained? I have time warner cable, and a toshiba satellite laptop with windows 7. if you need more info please ask, this is driving me NUTS here!!

-ARDABUS

2. Ironmaniac

Ironmaniac Private E-2

I think resetting the DLink router and reconfiguring it for your connection won't be a bad idea. That is what I would do. And 50 feet is nothing. You deserve more. If it works, fine. Otherwise call up DLink, its brand new.

3. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Thanks for the reply!

Reset and reconfigure how exactly? What settings do i need to change? The only settings i changed on my old router was for port forwarding so i don't know what to change exactly.

Thanks!!!!

4. Ironmaniac

Ironmaniac Private E-2

5. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Also to note, i've been using inSSIDer to monitor my signal, and it's right where it should be as far as i can tell. the signal from the router is strong and good, but yet my connection is still horrible. I'm downloading a torrent, it's going at .08kbps. I did a speed test and i got .9mbps down and .01mbps up.

6. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

i watched the video, it shows him unboxing, plugging in, accessing the setup page, and that's it. it doesn't tell me what settings i need to change. i am exactly where he is at the end of the video. :)

but thanks!

7. Ironmaniac

Ironmaniac Private E-2

You should find the reset button at the bottom of the product. To reset, keep the button pushed for 10 secs and wait for 30 secs then on, to have the device reboot. As in page 127 in the manual.

8. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

so i press the reset button and that's it?

9. Ironmaniac

Ironmaniac Private E-2

You are good. But probably you should get in touch with dlink tech support.

10. Ironmaniac

Ironmaniac Private E-2

The reset button just takes it back to the factory settings. I meant after reset you could start all over again. :p

11. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

I bought the router yesterday! It's brand new, and i haven't changed any settings, so i think a factory reset won't do much :p

Also like i mentioned, inSSIDer is telling me that my connection with the router is strong, so there must be something happening that's limiting the amount of signal the router receives from the modem?

This is why i came here :D

12. Ardabus

Ardabus Private E-2

Any suggestions?

13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I had trouble with my Asus Gigabit (RTA66U) router until I started my laptop which actually has 802.11ac and set up the router in my home group.
    I asked in their forums and it seems this is common. The router looks for 802.11ac and has terrible speeds until it gets set up from a high speed of connection. Asus did not know why so a fix is not all that likely. After talking with the laptop the desktops all went back to normal speeds.
    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/produc...ies/white_paper_c11-713103.html#_Toc377607862
    is a pretty good read.

Have you tried putting a computer close to the router? I get about 50 ft through walls in my house.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds