problem with new 8800gts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leoleotheiii, Jul 13, 2007.

1. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

Yesterday i finally got my evga 8800gts 320mb from NCIX, got it for $360 CAD, anyways i uninstalled the older drivers, took out my 6200tc and stuck this puppy in. It did not preform as well as i expected... i mean i read the reviews and they seemed great. I expected that my preformance was going to be about 10-15fps, maybe 20 at the max, lower than them but this is like, unplayble fps, company of heroes, maxed out settings without FSAA or V-Sync, at the resolution of 1280x1024 could not even get over 15 fps. Whats going on? I have updated all the games and got the latest drivers from Nvidia but it seems all the same! :mad :mad The only game that seems to be functioning normally is Medieval 2 TotalWar, please help me ><

my rig

e6300 @ 2.8ghz (400x7)
    2x512mb A-Data DDR2-667
    Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 3.3
    eVga 8800gts 320mb
    Aopen PSU 400W

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

its the PSU, no way in hell could a 400W power an 8800GTS (argue all u guys want about 12v amps, its still way underpowered). Once you upgrade the PSU that rig is gonna be uber fast. Even my rig can run CoH at max settings lol, though not at that resolution....:cry

the reason medieval is running fine is because it doesnt tax the card enough to require it to draw mucho grande amounts of power. very nice setup, im jealous :highfive

3. leoleotheiii

ty for being jealous, my job is done lol jk

hmmm the psu? which specific one would you recommend?

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

well the MINIMUM requirements for an 8800GTS are a 400W w/ a MINIMUM 12v+ rating of 26A. depending on the rest of your setup this is a pretty low estimate.
    (check the rig in my sig, my 430W has a tough time handling that setup though it only has 19A)

Personally I would go with no lower than a 500W, preferably higher.

any of these would be a GREAT choice for a high-end gaming rig:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2010320058+50001550&name=OCZ+Technology,+Inc.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1459+40000058&Manufactory=1459&SubCategory=58

but this is the best deal, on sale for this weekend only: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

5. leoleotheiii

urgh well.....after buying that 8800gts my budget is kind of tight.....im seeing about 60-80 dollars....CAD

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

well then id hold out until u can afford a nice PSU. dont skimp out on a PSU, its the backbone of your entire system.

im not sure if u can damage a card by underpowering it but who knows (i dont think u can). do u know the 12v+ rating on ur PSU?

7. leoleotheiii

my psu specs are AO400-12AHN, 400 watts, 29a on the 12v rails, seems able to handle a 8800gts...hmmm

8. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

No, the min for a 8800 is a 450 PSU. Dude never go MIN ever. I say get a 500 or a 600 atleast. You can get a good 600 watt for 100 bucks now. Your card isnt getting enough power. Think about what ur computer is eating up dude. I had the same problem when I had a 7800 on a 400 watt with 2 hdds,fans,sound card,dvd roms/writer. Your mouse,keyboard also are eating up some watts and ur processor and its heatsink/fan.

You asked the question, take our advice.

9. leoleotheiii

10. gamefreak863

gamefreak863 Private First Class

go to Tigerdirect.com

I'm looking at a few PSU's at 600W .... 39.99 after rebate. 69.99 with it...thats just one of them.

11. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

looks good: 36A on the 12v rails, SLI certified...

I havent heard much about CM PSUs but I do know they make AWESOME cases and other products. It seems like a quality piece

12. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

that same PSU on tigerdirect.ca is $120. the one he chose is a good deal

13. gamefreak863

gamefreak863 Private First Class

yes, I know...but the ones the guys before were pointing out...generally cost more from NE...than they would from TD.

14. leoleotheiii

15. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

the OCZ for sure. 4 12v rails w/ 64A! And i know for a fact that OCZ psus are top notch

16. leoleotheiii

okay, thats good, the OCZ is a bit more affordable too, i thought they only make good ram suppose they make quality psu's too

17. leoleotheiii

oh dear god.

Im sorry to bring back such an old thread, but i really feel the need to inform people about my PSU, the Aopen AO400-12AHN, as it is complete junk. After doing some reserch i found out that the 400watt output stated is the max output of this unit, which means that this unit wud normally run under 400watt and for it to reach a 400w output would prolly be under ideal circumstances. I also found out that it only produces about 65% of efficencey, which led me to think 400w*0.65 = 260w that is actaully received by the hardware which is absolutley terrible, most likely I use the wrong theory to come up with this calculation but I dont think I am that far off. I do not know of the quality of the 12v rails but im pretty sure they are kraps.

I am currently still stuck with this PSU as i am slowly saving up for a new unit. I strongly suggest people(with my tiny brain mass and knowledge) to stay away from this piece of abomination. Even if the price justifies it.

Correct me if I am wrong in any case.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds