Problem with new graphic card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FireSkull, May 9, 2011.

1. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

Hello! I have a problem after buying new graphic card GT430...
    I like this card wery much from first day i bought it and now i can run all games like Alien Swarm, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2 on MAX settings without any problems...
    But! Games started to load much longer before rounds in every game, about 6 times longer, when before I was one of the first ho was loaded, now I'm always last and late.

I have Acer AX3400-E3212

Windows 7
    AMD Athlon II X4 640
    4GB DDR3
    1TB
    Nvidia GeForse 9200 (integrated)
    PSU 220W

I need your help! What is the problem and what is the solution?
    Thank you in advance!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

1. Download/install/run Advanced System Care Free - it will check/fix most minor issues and may solve the problem.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927

2. Go to www.nvidia.com and be sure you have the latest driver for the GT430 (Windows Update often won't catch video card driver updates).

3. Although I doubt this is a direct cause of your problems, you need to upgrade to a higher wattage power supply ASAP. Most GT430 cards require a power supply with a minimum of 300 watts (check the specs on yours for specifics). By running a 220 watt power supply, you are playing Russian Roulette: At best, it will fail soon. At worst, when it fails it will do so in a way that fries your motherboard. Personally, I'd spend a few extra bucks and get at least a 400 watt quality brand (Antec, Rosewill, CoolerMaster, etc.).

Hope this helps. :)

3. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

I have low-profile case is that gona be a problem if I will buy PSU biger then my case, can I hold PSU out of computer case? I am looking at this ONE. Is it ok?
    This is about how my computer looks.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Although I can't exactly tell from the picture, my guess is you have either a "TFX" or "Flex ATX" size power supply.

Measure the dimensions of the current PSU:

If it's roughly 5.5" x 2.45" x 3.5" a TFX size should fit.

5.91" x 3.21" x 1.6" is Flex ATX size.

Given the link to FutureShop, I assume you're in Canada. If so, here is one at newegg.ca I'd seriously consider. It's a single rail model which is a better at getting enough juice to the video card:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182207

Not sure how bad you get nailed on customs fees if ordering from the US; however if it's not too bad you may also consider this one. I'm lucky enough to live 15 minutes from Directron (local pick-up) and they have great service.

http://www.directron.com/fsp30060ght.html

Hope this helps. :)

5. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

You really helping me, but PSU TFX which you showed me has only 300 watts, and you said that should be at least 400 watts, If possible, I am still have nothing against PSU outside case also it is more powerfull and cheaper and brand is popular as far as i know... Besides, it is much easier for me to get to Future Shop without paying for shipping. PSU out of case must work, right? :confused

Thanks in advance!

6. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

And also there is only 2.2 (max) space of height fits inside case... I just tried with ruler...
    PSU i have now is only 2.05 height and PSU TFX size is 2.5... And i can't find Flex ATX PSU in any shop i can get to... Have any ideas?

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

When I recommended a minimum of 400 watts, I assumed you had a standard size case. :-o

In this case (no pun intended), I would go with a PSU of at least 300 watts that fits inside of your PC. Aside from being ugly, with exposed wires all over the place you run the risk of snagging one, causing possible damage to either the power supply or the PC itself. Given the low wattage draw of mini-case PCs, you'll be OK so long as you don't go beyond the 430 series video card.

I know a retail store seems more convenient; however if they don't carry the right part it's not a good deal.

If you don't mind shelling out a few more bucks, you can get a 350-watt server grade model with active PFC, 80 PLUS Bronze energy efficiency and a three year warranty. If your budget permits, this would be my ultimate choice in a TFX size PSU:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=flex_atx_power_supply-_-17-338-057-_-Product

8. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

I can't visit your link for some reasons...
    But just so you know I have problems with money, (I dont have job now) I hardly geting 40 bucks on it... :(

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

To search what's available, just go to www.newegg.ca and type "TFX power supply" in the search field.

I'm honestly not trying to create panic over your current PSU. I worked at a large PC parts retailer a few years ago. About 30-40% of the replacement PSU sales I made were to customers who had recently installed or upgraded a video card and had their OEM (+200 watt) PSU bite the dust soon after since it couldn't handle the wattage the video card needed.

Going back to my original reply, odds are about 90% if/when this happens, your current PSU will be the only casualty. In rare cases, however, a PSU can go out with a voltage spike that damages the board or other hardware connected to it.

10. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

Very bad news, bought PSU for 450w, problem did not dissapear! :cry

11. FireSkull

FireSkull Private E-2

YES!!! I did it Everything is ok now after OS reinstal... thaks for help! :celebrate

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds