Problem with not finding SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuddlepuppy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. cuddlepuppy

cuddlepuppy Private E-2

This is a NEW build. So a few questions to ask ...

ONE: This is the main problem I am having. It's is not finding SLI in the prog (EVGA Precision) that came with the vid cards. It can see both cards. They are currently in slots 1 and 3 (which seem too close for cooling, but Asus recommended these) Should I use slots 1 and 4? Also this was fired up with both cards in. Should I have first booted with one, installed the driver from the CD, then add the other? Asus's reply to asking ...
    "2 card Sli prob" = "Solution - For AMD 9 Series chipset, you must install specified VGA driver for enabling SLI function. Please try nVidia beta driver 275.50 or contact with your VGA card vendor for solution." Any idea on this?

TWO: The above prob brings up a secondary Q. The MB requires a newer (UEFI/Bios) than what came on it. They claim, to utilize the best features for Chip/MB (8C FX chip) to upgrade Bios to v1604. Should I update? (as it booted and runs with current bios v1304). Is this also a prob to fix for the SLI to work?
    ALSO ... with three different ways to update UEFI/BIOS, Which dang one will work best, grrrr. and how should I do this ... detailed explanation Please, as I know this "MAY" kill the MB.

Have a LOT of money invested in this machine, do not want to crap it out with my own guesswork.
    Thank You for your time and help.
    Eric

MB = Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
    (Asus's UEFI Bios v1304)
    chip = AMD Black Edition FX8350 4.0GHz
    with - Coolmaster Hyper n520
    PSU = Ultra 850w modular
    ram = 16gb 1333(4x4gb) Kingston ram (Asus QVL matched)
    GPU's = 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 550ti 2G
    HDD = WD 500g HDD sata 3.0
    Opt = LiteOn 24 dvd/cd read.burner

Zalman Z9 mid tower 4x120m 2000rpm fans

2. cuddlepuppy

cuddlepuppy Private E-2

Well, it could be, AND IS, A misprint/unclarified explanation in the Asus book.

one page shows ...
    Slot 1 is 16x and correct for first card.
    Slot 2 in the book shows a 1x slot
    Slot 3 16x again
    slot 4 16x
    etc etc

a second page shows ... a pic/fig showing one card usage, two card usage, and what slots they should be (1 and 3)

BUT they should be the 16x slots, ignoring the 1x slot, so only counting the 16x slots, it would be slots 1 and 3 -16x or slots 1 and 4 by the first pages description. so a BIG misleading info on how to count slots.

Found all this on another site's forum.
    Here 65 people looked and no one answered. I read on here in a guideline " Guidelines and reminders for those offering tech support" this rule .. "1. Number one most important rule: We want quality. We don’t want guesses. Trial and error is not guessing…that is troubleshooting. Googling is guessing. Linking to some obscure website you pulled up on a Google search is Not quality. We don’t want links; we want posts explaining in your words how the OP can fix their problem. Obviously, there are exceptions to this such as linking to a Microsoft Support page or linking to a manufacturer’s website with the specific info for a product, etc. Btw….Yahoo Answers…absolutely Not quality" .

And THAT is how I found MY OWN solution. So PEOPLE,, keep looking ANYWHERE. research till your fingers cramp, BUT keep at it.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Glad you found your own solution, wow not great when the manual is a bit misleading, so do the cards now work in SLI ok?

I would also if you have not already make sure that you have all updated drivers install from ASUS for your model as the driver CD that comes with MBs are at times out of date, your model HERE (not directly linked to driver for your OS as you never mentioned it, just choose from the dropdown)

I would also install the latest NVidia Geforce driver for your model cards HERE (again choose card and OS from the dropdowns)

AS for BIOS, many shy away from offering advice on this as it can kill a MB, however the ASUS BIOS updates are pretty good at working ok, the route I take is to download the BIOS update to a FAT32 formatted USB stick (has to be FAT32) then you need to use the BIOS Renamer app in BIOS utilities as the downloaded name file needs to be shortened to run ok.

Then in the manual follow Chapter 3 page 40 and use the EZ Flash 2 method of being in the BIOS itself up update. Always worked for me.

However from your model I do only see a v1503 BIOS update from 31st Jan 2013 and not any mention of a v1604, so I would be careful that that you have the right driver pages.

As for the last paragraph, well, may have been 64 views but they may not have been actual signed up members of the site, they could have been those searching for similar questions, to the search engine spiders. Yes many will have been from here but they may have looked and not known fully the answers you posed.

Also at times I know I have looked at a question when I get a spare moment and think is this one I can answer quickly and accurately or is it one I need to give some thought to and even download and test an app or check some settings/recreate the issue on a specific OS, so I get the answer as clear as possible for the user.

We all devote our free time unpaid to help others as much as we can, so at times some questions may go unanswered for a few hours to days, depends who is online to answer.

Indeed we do have a quality thing on the site and it has been actively moderated since the site started as quality over quantity/crap is not what we are about. Googling is guessing at times, great for the individual such as me or you to fix our own problems but I would not want a random googled guess helping me with an issue, I'd want someone who can follow up with extra info if the troubleshooting does not work initially and a random googled link will not always help in this as all issues are at times unique to a PC setup, they may seem the same.

Hope this helps Eric and shows you where Majorgeeks is coming from.

David

4. cuddlepuppy

cuddlepuppy Private E-2

TY for this email, It explains much and hopefully helps many besides myself.

5. DavidGP

HI eric

Cheers for the update and this is where I was different with your post as in the outset you stated your PC specs as

But that gives the BIOS as http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#support

But the link you have posted in last post is to the SABERTOOTH 990FX different BIOS listings and versions.

This is why many are hesitant to post replies to BIOS questions as in your postings you have two different Motherboards and they have different BIOS revisions, both wil not work well with each other.

I agree with you on BIOS updates if the update does not fix an issue you are having its not a wise thing to do just for the sake of it.

No you didn't offend, although the use of CAPTIALS is a universal online expression of shouting and aggression, but I just wanted to put the position of Majorgeeks to you as we do not guess to issues and you are likely to find (when right person is online ) the definitive answers you seek or at least the right direction as sadly online tech support is a crapshoot at times as its better for many of us to see the PC live and direct in front of us.

I totally agree with you, research and research an issue you or anyone is having as 70% of the time given a few hours you will find a fix if not then its a deep rooted and more technical issue.

Eric, thank you for your post and update on your PC and happy computing:)

David

6. cuddlepuppy

cuddlepuppy Private E-2

You are very correct, TY for catching this. As well I did not flash a new Bios, would have been quite the crash.

7. DavidGP

Goes to show why we are careful as we are.

have a great weekend and happy computing :major

David

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Good info, I know I'll have to flash my bios to the latest for my ram. Also, will look into the dual video card thing-a-ma-thing. I'm a newb with SLI.

9. Johndrake

Johndrake Private E-2

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds