problem with onboard video vs. PCIe video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nanomega, Nov 8, 2011.

1. nanomega

nanomega Private E-2

I have been running windows with 2 monitors. one on the PCIe card, set as the primary monitor, and another on the motherboard's onboard video, as the #2 monitor. it hasn't given me any problems and I have been doing that for a long time.

now, the #2 monitor doesn't get a signal and worse yet, the onboard video adapter isn't seen by windows anywhere.

either is seen in BIOS. I can set either one to run first, and BIOS and Windows startup screen shows on the one set first, but

with the PCIe going first, I get the problem described above.

with the onboard video going first, windows DOES see both video adapters, and "primary display" goes to the onboard video. I don't want that because the PCIe card is much more powerful than the onboard video. I want the PCIe to be the "primary display".

I could leave it like that, with the onboard video loading first, and set the "primary display" to the PCIe card, but when the computer boots up it will always show BIOS and windows startup screen on the wrong monitor. (the onboard video's monitor, display #2)

it's not a case of "either-or" video adapter enabled, because I have been using both for a long time, I still get both when onboard video is set to load first, and there aren't any settings I could have accidentally hit to disable one or the other like there are on a laptop. the motherboard was designed to use both at the same time.

I can't use Add Hardware because it doesn't see anything added to the system (nothing has been) and when I tell it to add a hardware anyway, I point it to the onboard video drivers and it asks which model to install, but the window is blank.

I tried turning off, disconnecting and unplugging everything for 10 minutes but that doens't work.

to make it simple, I need to make windows to see the onboard video, even when the PCIe video is set to load first in BIOS. it should be doing this in the first place. it was doing that until yesterday.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Since this is a recent issue, try running System Restore back to a point where the monitors started properly. If this works, it indicates the problem likely was/is caused by a driver update that was automatically installed by Windows.

If this doesn't solve the problem, it's possible your on-board video is flaking out. Depending on the PCI-e video card you have, you may be able to drive both monitors from the PCI-e. If it's an older card that won't support the resolution quality you want on both monitors, you might consider upgrading to a PCI-e card that will. Depending on the apps you're running, you should be able to find a decent mid line card (such as an EVGA GT430 w/ 1GB DDR3) for as little as $50 after rebate.

Hope this helps. :)

3. nanomega

nanomega Private E-2

never mind, I figured it out. there's a setting in BIOS called "surround view" which, as far as I know, has always been turned off. (and still was turned off) I thought it simply duplicates the desktop on another monitor, instead of allowing the desktop to be extended. it was off, so I turned it on just for the hell of it. now the onboard video adapter is seen by windows and the desktop extends to the other monitor. whatever. it works now.

already tried system restore yesterday, no dice. further confirms that it was that BIOS setting.

lesson learned: if you thought you had everything covered and still get dead ends everywhere, that could mean you didn't have everything covered. go back and take a second look.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds