problem with plug n play (i think)

Discussion in 'Software' started by souredspirit, May 25, 2008.

1. souredspirit

souredspirit Private First Class

problem is that my pc is not recognizing usb connected sotrage devices...it picks them up as a "mass storage device" in the device manager but will not let me access the drive via the "my computer"

this includes usb flash drives, flash usb, sd adapters, and even usb sata externals.

my OS is windows vista x64 ultimate and is updated with all important and recomneded updates.

also my motherboard is fully updated, and it is an asus m2n32-sli deluxe

i have formatted 3 times in the past year and have never been able to get it to work. if there is something that has to be done to get vista to access them please let me know, cuz as things stand now i cant do anything.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Have you tried assigning a different Drive letter? One (that has not been assigned, ie: K, S, or L).

Steve

3. souredspirit

yeah forgot to mention ive done that too...so to clarify. it only recognizes that a device was plugged in and is a mass sotrage device...right now it doesnt even register that...i just comes up as "unknown device" under the usb tab.

also as an update the HD im trying to use is a WD3200aaks-00vya0. (no drivers available at their site either)

also ive tested on 2 other hd's as well,

1st is Hitachi 250Gb Mo#: hds722525vlat80
    2nd is WD 80Gb Mo#: wd800bb-00jhc0

(yes im aware that the other 2 are ide i still think its the usb that is the problem though cuz nothing is working)

im almost certain it is either a vista setting i never setup properly, or it is a mother board problem...theres no way i have this many bad drives/usb controllers.

oh and ive tried using a different usb cable, ide/sata to usb controller, and a different usb port in back of pc...just so u can rule those problems out.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

So you have a 64 bit version of Vista and no working USB ports?
    What are you showing in device manager when you expand USB?

5. souredspirit

yes its 64 bit, and no only storage doesnt show up

my mouse, keyboard, joystick, and logitech harmony universal remote all work fine...

here's the list though

standard enhanced pce to usb host controller
    standard openHCD USB host controller
    Unknown Device(this would be the hard drive, it disappears when it becomes unplugged)
    USB composite device
    USB composite device
    USB root hub
    USB root hub

6. plodr

Is this standard enhanced pci to usb host controller?
    Aside from that, everything looks as it should.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600
    Have you installed 933442 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933442/)
    that's the only thing that comes close (I know it isn't exactly your problem) to Vista not being able to see any storage devices but can use other USB devices.

7. souredspirit

yes i meant pci to usb, sorry...and i have ALL updates as i previously mentioned...i think im going to end up getting a new MB and putting windows on a new HD, and just pulling all my old files to a different drive,.

8. plodr

Try one more thing. Boot into safe mode then plug in your device and see if it loads okay.
    Someone posted elsewhere that booting into safe mode fixed his problem with the computer not being able to load the proper drivers for flash drives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds