Problem with Radeon 9600xt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Job, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Job

Job Private E-2

I had to wipe my comp's old OS since I wanted to reinstall and lost the discs. The problem was, with starting new, when I tried to get my video card to work, something was missing from the hardware settings. I installed the original Catalyst software from the original disc and most things are available but now I can no longer see the tab that allowed me to monitor the temperature control and overclocking option on my 9600xt. Any ideas about what could be wrong or what I can do about it? Also, I did make sure to have all of my updates and multimedia drivers installed prior.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

if its anything like nvidia cards, then you have to download something before you can access clock frequency settings. ATI would have a crap load of problems on their hands from angry customers if they included overclocking standard in their drivers

3. Job

Job Private E-2

Normally I'd agree, but the ability to check the core temp and also overclock was in the default catalyst drivers disc. I don't know why it's not showing up now, though. : /

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i have a card similar, and i dont remeber seeing that info...i did have an overclocking utility that came with my card (it's called trixx? i think) i had to install it separately.

5. maddoghoek

maddoghoek Private E-2

maybe try riva tuner its a really good overclocking and monitoring program. also maybe updating the graphx cards bios if it has any updates.

6. Job

Job Private E-2

Thanks for all the replies everyone. What I don't understand is that the temp & overclocker seemed to have come with the catalyst software and now it's as if it isn't there anymore. I know the disc hasn't changed since I used it last. So I'm guessing something's missing on the OS that's inhibiting the drivers - I'm just not sure what that'd be. I test the vid card on a game last night, Quake 3, and while the fps were just fine, it seemed to have darker gamma than before.

7. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi job
    The new Catalyst drivers ( 5.11 up ) require the Microsoft .NET Framework to work with XP. To avoid the .NET download just get the Catalyst 5.10 drivers. They should function OK. :)

8. Job

Job Private E-2

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I got this fatal error:

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

9. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi job
    There were some residual files - Check that the driver has been uninstalled -> Computer Management->Device Manager->Display Adapters. If your ATI board is here, select it and delete it. When you restart, you should have the VGA default driver. Then you should be allowed to run the Catalyst install.

10. theguy

theguy Private E-2

You could always download the latest Omega drivers. They're tweaked catalyst drivers and it comes with ATI Tray Tools which will let you change the clockspeeds on the card and video RAM. I think there's a temp monitor on that thing too.

11. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

maybe those extra menus only come with the drivers associated with your manufacturer. when you updated it with the ati catalyst, you lost those, i have a 9600xt, with the current catalyst drivers and no info about those things. i used to have an nvidia fx5200 from msi, and they had their own info pages on the control panel, but if i went with the generic nvidia drivers, they werent there.

12. Job

Job Private E-2

Great, thanks, that worked. : ) One mystery that remains is that the temperature gauge and overclock couldn't be found (I did the custom install and couldn't find it)...I know it was there and that I used it but I have no idea where it is now. Do you suppose it could be found on the ATI site?

13. Job

Job Private E-2

Nevermind, I got the problem solved. Thanks to everyone for their help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds