Problem With Shutdown And Restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HumbleServant1611, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Hello everyone,

I have recently went through the Windows 10 Upgrade procedure and clean installation. After doing so I went to Dell and downloaded their Driver Checker and had a graphic update and a BIOS update. So I did those and everything well perfectly. Everything was fine until one day I noticed that my computer didn't fully power down. Everything was shutdown but the power was still on. I held the button down and everything was fine. Turned it back on, nothing out of the ordinary. So I continued to use it and when I did some windows updates and restarted it, it didn't restart properly. It said restarting and then just shutdown. I then had to hold the power button again to get it to full power down. Pressed the button again and it started the updates as if it just restarted. I am not sure what to think about this. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

P.S. This is a "Dell Laptop Inspiron 7000 Series 7547." One other thing, I noticed after the upgrade my battery drains a lot faster than it did with Windows 8.1, not sure if that's something worth mentioning.

Thanks everyone,
    God Bless...

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

My wife's ancient (9+) Medion had identical issues with not powering off fully and also sometimes took forever exiting Windows. I didn't spend long trying to rectify these problems as she was happy to revert to Win 7. As to the battery, Win 10 'phones home' a lot. Try tweaking it with O&O ShutUp10, that should help a little, as well as giving you more control over your privacy.

3. I have the W10 Privacy that I'm using. I will be buying the Professional edition and doing another clean install that might do it. For Digital Entitlement does that mean I can do a wipe of the HDD and still have the Digital Entitlement for activation? I believe if I clean install W10 Pro and then use the Store app to buy the Windows 10 Pro OEM activation that that would work. I will make an image of the W10 Home for a backup just in case.

4. Earthling

As I understand it your digital entitlement is for whichever version you have and would not transfer to a different version. Full details HERE.

5. I was thinking if I'm just going to buy the Pro edition that I could just wipe my hard drive and clean install W10 Pro and go to their store and by the activation for a 100$ I believe is just the OEM which has the single activation. Is that a process that would work?

6. Earthling

I don't care to make predictions about activation but, providing you do everything legally you will get it activated even if it takes a phone call.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds