problem with start up following malware removal attempt

Discussion in 'Software' started by stewart, Jul 28, 2006.

1. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Hello Everyone,

I have read the section about malware removal but was unable to do any of it because my pc wont even start up.

Basically this is what happened - my Dad downloaded a file of the internet which was claiming to be maps for his GPS... it turned out to be a trojan. I think was called TR/Spy.banbra.199.df by AntiVir. The trojan kept on opening explorer and firefox windows by itself.

AntiVir detected the file (I think what was infected was called command.exe) but it could not delete it so I set about runing Ad-aware. Ad-aware found a few things but said it would continue trying to fix on restart so I restarted the pc thinking I'd got on top of things.

On restart the pc started as normal until I got the Windows XP screen which says 'Loading your personal settings...' then pauses for a while then says 'Saving you settings...' it then goes between the two ...loading settings saving settings, loading settings saving settings etc and gets nowhere.

I have tried pressing F8 at the start and starting with last known good configurations and also starting in safe mode but the
    same thing happens...

Can anyone help me please??

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you have an xp cd, that came with your computer, boot the computer to it.

When you get the first prompt, type in R to repair.

Ignore the keyboard selection.

When the prompt asks for which windows installation you wish to repair, use 1 for default.
    Password should be blank, unless you changed the administrator password to something else

Next, at the c:\windows directory type in:

chkdsk c: /r

After this is done, reboot, and see if the computer is good to go.

Other than this, try a repair installation of XP.

In addition, this error, sometimes happens when there isn't enough disk space left on the hard drive.

3. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

I have the xp disc.

I pressed F11 to boot from the CD/DVD drive that worked fine then I had to press any key to continue, then it went through some checks.

On the next screen I typed 'R' for repair.
    Then it came up with some script which said press enter to quit or typ exit. I tried typing but it only let me typ one letter.

Then it shut down so I tried again, this time it got as far as typing any key to continue, before the installation options screen and it continued to the same loading settings...saving settings stuck between the two that I had before..

Is there a way that I can ask it to boot from the CD/DVD drive and ignore the HD?

Thanks

4. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Ignore my last post wasn't I didn't read your instructions properly:confused: ...

It got to the part where it was asking me my password only I don't remember ever setting up a password, have never had to use one before.

...badk to the drawing board

Would it be worth installing another os next to te old one so at least I can get past start up and try and sort the initial problem??

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

When it ask for a password just press ENTER on the keyboard or OK on the screen. See if that works.

Steve

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Pressing "R" at the first screen will take you to the recovery console ...press enter for "new install" and it will take you to the agreement screen (F8) then it will look for previously installed os ....when it finds xp you can choose "R" for repair or do a complete format and new install ....you want to choose the "R" at that point so it will repair and keep all of your files and programs (you only lose updates). :)

7. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Thanks guys.

TimW I got to that screen but found that there was no mention of the OS there, it turns out that I have xp pro installed on the pc that won't restart and I was trying to fix it with xp home.

I can't find my xp pro disc anywhere. So I have installed xp home next to xp pro so I think I am going to try and tackle it that way, unless there is another way round it??

8. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Ok, I have successfully installed xp home to another directory called windows.001 it boots up fine.

Now, where should I go from here? Is there getting everything across to xp home and getting rid of the xp pro or a way of fixing xp pro and sticking with that and removing xp home?

Thanks again for the help

9. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Or is there a way of fixing xp pro from here?

Any ideas please??

10. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Hi,

I have been going through this problem on the Malware forum. After running several scans and posting different logs, deleting files, disabling system restore points and starting up in safe mode etc. etc.

I still have got the same problem.

Bjgarrick has referred me back to the software forum... so here I am!!

"I havn't heard of anything acting like this, I am not sure what to tell you other than see what the Software guys can come up with because if we can't get into windows there isnt much I can do"

The latest is that I have captured a video with my mobile phone of what happens and uploaded it to the following

www.perfect-strangers.co.uk/Xp pro.mp4

This way you can see exactly what happens, I'll continue the thread on the software forum too and see if they can help.

Thanks

Stewart

11. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Anyone got any ideas?

Is there a way of downloading a repair facility for xp pro?

Or would I be better off migrating all the programs and settings across to the xp home install?? if so what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks for any help

Stewart

12. TimW

Link didn't work ....will get back to you ....hang in there.

13. TimW

Two thoughts ....no you can't use home to fix pro or vice versa ...however, you could try a key finder ( ...http://majorgeeks.com/Winkey_Finder_d4501.html. and if you can recover your cd key for pro, then borrow someones pro disc and do the repair.

14. stewart

stewart Private E-2

TimW,

Thanks for that, i downloaded it from one of the alterate locations, it only gave me the cd key for the xp home install that i am currently using though!

is there a way to point it to the other os?

15. TimW

16. stewart

stewart Private E-2

TimW I got hold of an xp pro disc and went through the above...
    Now when xp pro loads it asks me for my 25 digit activiation key but when I put it in it doesn't work.

I have tried phoning the number and quoting a very long id number but the operator told me that I wasn't valid.

..is there a way around this??

...forgot to mention - it boots up fine in safe mode.

...also fior got to mention that I have since discovered the password that I needed earlier in the thread ie. when you are asked for the admin password after pressing <F8> then <R> straight away to access the recovery console. could I perhaps do a system restore to when it didn't work and do it that way rather than the other way??

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  17. TimW

18. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Thanks for that TimW I'll give that a go.

Cheers

Stewart

19. stewart

stewart Private E-2

TimW I tried that and used the 25 digit code that it gave me at login but windows didnt like it...

20. stewart

stewart Private E-2

I guess this means that the xp pro that was put on my pc when is not legit...
    From reading other posts I understand that it is frowned upon to not have genuine software and I'd be much happier knowing that I had a genuine product.

So... my question now is...is there away of migrating all my settings and programs over to the xp home install which is legit from the old install of xp pro then deleting the xp pro install from the pc?

Are there any guides on this kind of thing??

Thanks

Stewart

21. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Anyone got any ideas please?

22. TimW

You can use a sweet progam to move your programs to the other install (Partition):
    http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

Then to remove the xp pro:
    Remove multiple boot files:
    When you start your computer, the Windows XP Boot options may show more than one Operating System entry, some of which may be invalid. The additional entries can be removed by modifying the Boot.ini file directly or, much easier is to use the "Check All Boot Paths" option (button) available in the MSConfig (System Configuration utility).
    Click Start | Run, type in msconfig and press [Enter]
    Select the Boot.ini tab
    Click the Check All Boot Paths button
    MSConfig will now quickly verify each line in the Boot.ini to check if they are valid. If orphaned entries are detected, you'll be prompted with this dialog:
    It appears that the following line in the BOOT.INI file does not refer to a valid operating system:

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional " /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn"

Would you like to remove it from the BOOT.INI file?
    Choose Yes when the dialog box appears. This will remove the incorrect entry from Boot.ini file.

23. stewart

stewart Private E-2

Thanks TimW that's a great help.

Cheers,

Stewart

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds