Problem with Toshiba Laptop Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dustienag, Aug 16, 2010.

1. dustienag

dustienag Private E-2

Hi, A friend of mine bought a used Toshiba Satellite1805 S204 laptop off Craigslist. It seemed to be working fine at first off the battery. Then when the battery went down and she went to plug it in, the display kept shutting down. I noticed that when she opened it back up after plugging it in, she pushed the screen pretty far back. Which I told her she shouldn't do. At first I thought there might be a short in the adapter causing it. But then I connected an external monitor to it and it works fine that way. So I am thinking maybe she loosened a connection when she pushed the screen so far back. If you push the little button that goes down when you close the laptop to put it on standby, the display will come on but goes back off. Also the battery no longer seems to hold a charge for more than a couple of minutes now. I can rebuild a desktop but I have never tried with a laptop before so I am a little nervous about opening it up. But she can't afford a repair shop so it is up to me. I am confused about what to do next. I don't want to cause more damage to it. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. It has XP installed. It also freezes but I think a fresh XP install might help that so I am doing that tonight. Thanks! :)

Lisa

2. technician

technician Private E-2

It sounds like when she pushed the monitor back she loosened a connection. All you should have to do is reconnect the monitor to the motherboard. You will have to look up a user's manual if you don't feel comfortable with going by eye. If that is not the problem then it is more than likely a bad LCD. For your battery issue it could be a connection issue but is more than likely the battery is going bad.

3. dustienag

dustienag Private E-2

Thanks for the advice.:) I have been unsure what to do. I will give it a try. Thanks again.

Lisa

4. dustienag

dustienag Private E-2

I took the display apart, nothing was undone. But I pushed on the connections anyway. Put it back together and the display works fine.:) Hoping this is a permanent fix. Thanks.

Lisa

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds