Problem with windows xp taskbar

Discussion in 'Software' started by ZRXDave, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ZRXDave

ZRXDave Private E-2

I have read some of the threads on similar problems but could not find a fix. I am running Windows XP Media center with SP2. Without making any changes the taskbar started to take 20 min. to load. My Start button, Windows Defender, wireless icon, and Avast icon appears right away during bootup. The volume control icon appears after the taskbar completes loading(20 Min). Windows Defender is set to not auto scan.
    So far I have run scans with Avast, Windows Defender, Spybot, Malwarebytes, HiJackThis, Ccleaner, and SuperAntiSpyWare. Everything says my system is clean. Also checked bootup with Bootkit Remover.
    I tried to run Microsoft Bootvis, but can't get it set properly to show what the drivers and bootup are doing. It only scans Disc I/O and Process creates.
    Any help would be appreciated.

David

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) does your PC take ages to load still?

Try the instructions HERE for running Bootvis

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

So, the problem started suddenly, compared to quick load times before?

4. ZRXDave

ZRXDave Private E-2

Hey guys! Problem is solved!!$%^. I feel like an idiot. I will post this just in case it will help someone else. About a month ago I uninstalled Power DVD 9. Apparently something did not uninstall properly. I don't know why the slow loading problem just started, but since my audio was working ok I never thought to check anything audio related. Under the sound and video controllers i had several of the yellow exclamation marks. Reinstalled the drivers from the os disk and everything is back to normal. 1 min. startup!
    I would still appreciate a tutorial on how to set bootvis to trace the driver delay and boot activity.

Thanks
    David

5. ZRXDave

ZRXDave Private E-2

I overlooked the reply from Halo on running bootvis. Thanks for the info.

David

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds