Problem with WinXP SP2

Discussion in 'Software' started by AirWarrior001, Nov 25, 2005.

1. AirWarrior001

AirWarrior001 Private E-2

I was just finishing my downloaded update for Service Pack two when I accidentally cut the power to my PC. The update said it was cleaning up files. When I try restarting it it just gets stuck in the loading screen. The bar keeps rolling but the xomputer won't boot. I started up in Safe Mode and did a System Restore to an older restore point but the computer acts the same. I also tried changing to a Selective Startup under MSConfig with no luck.

If anyone could help me with this I would be very grateful!

2. AirWarrior001

Oh I'm under Debugging mode now and it seems ok. Windows asked to update to Service Pack 2 again. I tried that and it failed. The desktop seems to have SP2 already installed, but I don't know why it won't start.

3. Try going to start- run- and typing this command in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) and run that. It will need the windows cd so have it ready. The easiest way to do it is to just copy and paste the text i have in quotes to the run box. Do that and tell me if it helps. Also make sure u do enter the space between sfc and /scannow. Just type exactly as i have it written.
    -the new tech guy

4. AirWarrior001

Ok i ran the file protection checker. It ran all the way through and told me nothing. Is there a log file that is saved? It didnt ask me for the windows cd. BTW I have Win XP Home Edition.

5. What are your computer specs? Also try the install now and tell me if it helps. Or maybe look in add remove programs for service pack 2 and uninstall if you can. Then try it again.
    -the new tech guy

6. AirWarrior001

I have a laptop with:
    P4 2.0 GHz
    256 RAM
    80 GB HD

7. What brand is the laptop?

8. AirWarrior001

Sony VAIO

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

What's the actual problem?

10. AirWarrior001

The problem is the computer doesn't start up normally. mI can only start it under Safe Mode and Debugging Mode. If I try to start it normally it gets stuck in the Windows loading screen.

11. Well do you have a recovery partition on your harddrive? Maybe try to run fixmbr and fixboot from the recovery console as this will write a new bootsector to windows.
    -the new tech guy

12. AirWarrior001

The uninstall of the SP2 seems to do the trick. Thanks for your help tech guy.

13. No problem man :) the important part is that your working again.
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds