problematic external USB Iomega Zip Drive 250Mb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jpmad4it, Aug 12, 2005.

1. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

hello fellow geeks :)

hey
    i have a compaq pc running microsoft ME with a pentium III processor

i have an external USB ZIP 250MB drive, which is problematic.

i even changed the ZIP drive itself as i thought it was fautly - but the problem persists.

When i try to open the zip drive folder, or add files to the zip drive the zip drive springs into action, but after that nothing happens - and the PC becomes unreponsive. The mouse cursor is still moveable, but i cannot open any files, menus, folders etc. Then when i eject the zip disc the PC once more becomes responsive??

i have a brother USB printer too - maybe its conflicting with that? The thing is the zip drive has been working fine for around a year now - its all happened out of the blue.

I am now thinking that its an IRQ conflict? Maybe i am wrong - ive added some pictures of my device manager list and IRQ list to see if anyone can spot anything that looks incorrect:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

regarding the little green question marks next to USB composite device and USB mass storage device on the pictures - i clicked on these and it said that the hardware is wokring, but some components of the hardware may not work correctly due to out of date drivers. So i updated with the latest drivers from IMOEGA but the question marks still remain there.

any help will be great.

PS i uninstalled the zip drive and the brother USB printer - and installed from scracth again - but the ZIP drive stiil refuses to work

regards Jonathan :rolleyes:

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

one possible solution out of many.. again.. answer the question at hand and stop posting rediculous replies or don't post at all.

3. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

thank you for saying that for me :)

its not so easy upgrading to WinXp - i have the software for my home PC so i could easily do it, but you have to think past that and worry whether installing WinXP on an older system is just going to cause more problems with old hardware. Think ahead my friend!!!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Just a few quick theorys or things to try...

Have you removed all non-essential usb hardware, printer and printer drivers included and only had your Zip Drive plugged in?

Have you ever installed your intel chipset drivers? these do help with USB compatibility.

Also I did read about this ( the green ? ) in relation to a USB modem and WinME but the idea will most likely be the same, it states rather than use the manufacturers installer go via Device Manager and Highlight the device with ? and use the OSes route to install the driver....

while typing I found the bit I had read http://www.usbman.com/Guides/greenquestionmarksonlucentwinme.htm

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

So far thats your only response. Your now on everyones ignore list and our ban list. Have a nice day.

6. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

the thing is it was all working fine, and all of a sudden now it isnt. My guess is my sister has installed something on the PC and its caused some kind of error.

I have tried the zip drive on its own and it still didnt work

plus i looked at that link at USB man - but its not helpful for my situation :-(

7. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

i guess you guys dont like Win ME!!!

Dont worry im not running it on my machine - i have more brains than that!!! Its on my old man's PC at work.

So ban him, not me :)

8. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

i did have the same problem has you mine was when i try to change a name folder the zip will start and the light will stay on for a long times and lost everydata on that disk. i have a zip usb 2.0 750 megs.

To fix the problem i return the zip and the cable did you try to change the cable ???NOt the one that bring the power the others one.....

9. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

yes my old man thought the zip disc was bust, as i tried it on his laptop at home too (also windows ME) and it did not work. So we thought it was the zip. So he bought a new zip. We got the new one and installed it, and guess what - it still doesnt work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds