Problems accessing only one site

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matth3w, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

I know from talking to others that www.us.army.mil (where i get my Army related email from) is working. But here, in my hotel whereas it was working for the last three days or so, isn't working now. It says Page Cannot Be Found after like 1 minute of trying.

Every other site I have gone to all day long works just fine. I just can't figure out how only one site would be jacked up.

I'm using MSIE, no router, just a direct connect into the hotel's high speed line...and I havent changed anything in like 3 days, since I plugged it in (except I turned on that fan if you remember that thread).

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That link doesn't work, are you sure you have the correct address?

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

positive. plus www.army.mil is down also for me. but i posted on another forum and at least 10 replies came back saying they got onto both no problem.

4. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

I just tried it...was a tad slow to load at first but it did...and...I did get the below security warning...have you by chance changed your browser or firewall security settings?

Also., as you are in a hotel could be their network security is denying access due to the below.
    [​IMG]

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

yea, but i havent changed anything. is there a way it could have changed?

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I tried in IE, FireFox and Opera, as well as trying a few Army links via Google and NONE of them will load, not even slowly.

I know I don't have a problem, so I suspect it's at their end.

7. AbbySue

Then I would think it's something to do with your hotels network security as indicated in my first reply...they very well could have changed something.

8. AbbySue

Odd...it loads for me fine..just a little slow down blip while waiting for the certificate thingy...closed and tried again and it loaded right up (most likely in my cache) but I tried it in Opera & Firefox too (I'm using Maxthon right now) and both worked..giving me the security certificate first...face it..it's a haunted site;) lol

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

they say they havent changed anything.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Your answer to this thread might be in your other thread "What the hell with sites like www.whitepages.com"

You might not have changed anything but they may have added something and your pop-up blockers are stopping the site from loading. I would disable them and see.

Also, if others have slow loading you might be getting timed out. Run defragmenter and scandisk, see if that helps.

Steve

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Matth3w I'm getting into AKO just fine. Double check your IE settings, take a look at your hosts file, check with the hotel to make sure they didn't block it.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

what settings locally should i be checking

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If need be reset your security settings of IE back to default, to do this click Tools > Interent Options > Security and click Default Level

you could also whilst in same menus click Privacy and all the url to the site to the Sites Allow list.

14. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

i tried that and it didnt work. keep in mind also that my outlook 2003 doesnt use the same things i dont think, and isnt able to retrieve the mail either.

15. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Wierd stuff, I can also get to the site with no problems...loads quickly too. Try doing a trace route from a command prompt:

tracert www.us.army.mil

See where you're getting hung up.

16. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 48 ms 48 ms 48 ms tx-67-76-48-1.dyn.sprint-hsd.net [67.76.48.1]
    3 49 ms 49 ms 49 ms crtxklln01 [69.68.225.153]
    4 59 ms 53 ms 52 ms sl-gw20-fw-2-3.sprintlink.net [144.232.194.17]
    5 54 ms 56 ms 57 ms sl-bb20-fw-4-1.sprintlink.net [144.232.11.125]
    6 52 ms 55 ms 56 ms sl-st21-dal-13-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.81]

7 53 ms 55 ms 53 ms 144.232.8.138
    8 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms dal-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.225.54]
    9 96 ms 96 ms 101 ms ewr-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.8.186]
    10 98 ms 97 ms 99 ms ewr-edge-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.17.10]
    11 *

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds