Problems After Building Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Projecto, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Projecto

Projecto Private E-2

Hey there, I'm relatively new to the forums, and by that I mean this is my first post. So, I just built a PC myself, purchasing the parts and assembling it at home. but there's a problem. I put everything together, close up the case, and plug it in to the monitor, power, etc. However, whenever I press the power button, the power LED comes on, I hear fans firing up, but then everything stops, all in under a second... What? I would really appreciate some feedback and help, I got recommended this forum by a friend and I really hope someone can shine some light on the situation.

Here is the parts list:

Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Six-Core Boxed Processor

Asus M4N68T-M V2 Socket AM3 630a mATX Motherboard

Voltas X 600W ATX 12V Power Supply

Samsung 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support

TX-381 Micro ATX Computer Case

Adata 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)

Caviar Blue 7K1000.C 500GB HDS721050CLA362 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -OEM

- Also -
    I don't have an OS loaded yet/didn't try to load it yet, if that's of any importance.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Welcome to major geeks
    First of all that motherboard has on-board vga- so Start from less is best
    Remove graphics card
    Remove one stick of ram
    Disconnect DVD±RW
    Try then to see if it boots to Bios
    If boots to Bios you are in business.
    In Bios you may have to look for vga/graphics settings to find the setting for the graphics card, before fitting it, so that the system looks for it at atartup, othrwise it could be looking for on board vga,which you have not connected.
    Operating system does not matter, at this stage, but your graphics card driver might need to be installed while in Windows before it will operate properly., then shut down and install graphics card, and reboot.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Best thing to do is to start troubleshooting by eliminating everything you can do without. As your motherboard has onboard video, try booting with ONLY the following connected in the case:

Motherboard, ONE STICK of RAM, processor.

You should at least get a screen until BIOS doesn't find a hard drive.

If you're not able to get it to work this way, try switching out the RAM stick for the other one, and see if you can get it going then. If not, then it's likely the PSU, motherboard, or processor (could still be RAM).

We can go from there. :)

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I recollect another new build on here some years ago, who had not correctly installed the motherboard stand-off s
    This resulted in a similar problem- worth checking that nothing is touching, where it should not

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

True. Improper grounding will bring things to a halt pretty quick! I've learned the hard way to go one tick slower than I feel like going, to make sure everything's kosher as I go along any time I'm dealing with hardware.

6. Projecto

Projecto Private E-2

Alright, so I took out the graphics card, optical drive, and a stick of ram, and it booted to the bios, now what? Should I start adding things to see which is the problem?

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Exactly, now install one RAM STICK, the DVD and the OS and see what happens. To check your RAM, you can always boot from a memtest86 disk first before the OS to save time in case it is faulty RAM

8. Projecto

Projecto Private E-2

Well actually, weirdest thing happened. I put the parts back in one by one starting with the ram, testing to see if it booted each time. It got to the point where I installed the gfx card, and what do you know, it works! Weird. I have successfully installed windows now, thank you all for your help!

9. augiedoggie

That's kind of anti-climactic.;) However, sometimes the components weren't seated properly in the first place, it's happened to me a few times.:-o:-D Good to hear that you got it going.:)

10. Projecto

Projecto Private E-2

Hahaha yeah sure was! That makes sense though I might've not put it in totally right. Thank you again for your help, I'm glad it's nothing major! See you aroundthe forums! :cool

11. augiedoggie

BTW, I like to run OCCT at least overnight as this will stress your machine to the max, may as as well find out now if any of your components are less than perfect. It is an overclocking tool but it's best if something fails now when the warranty is still good. Your machine will run at %100 load so expect some extra noise from the fans. See ya around.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds