1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems cloning hard drives with different block sizes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kahlil88, May 30, 2012.

1. kahlil88

kahlil88 Private E-2

I've been running into clone problems lately with 1TB hard drives. HDClone gives me an error saying different block sizes aren't supported. Clonezilla won't work either and it's really a bother to do a clean install and migrate everything manually. Karen's Replicator is another possibility that I've considered but it's a bit time-consuming, especially with hard drives that have multiple partitions.
  2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Maybe try making a drive image then dropping that onto the new disk. Might be easier than cloning
  3. kahlil88

kahlil88 Private E-2

Unfortunately the 750GB is almost full (maybe 20GB of free space), which is the reason for upgrading to a larger drive. So I don't have space for a drive image.
  4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

By different block sizes, are they talking about sector sizes. I am not sure why that error would be flagged. Is the drive you are trying to clone to a raw drive without a formatted partition? If it is formatted try zeroing the drive first with LL format and then clone. If you OS is Windows 7 then I would check the option to do a 4K alignment.

If that does not work, try Easeus Disk Copy. It's a bootable disk like Clonezilla.