Problems connecting 2 routers together

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Schickadance, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mr Schickadance

Mr Schickadance Private E-2

I tried looking through some old threads but couldn't find an answer. I am trying to connect two routers together for my home network. The primary router is a Linksys WRT54GL and I want to connect another Linksys to it. I tried connecting each on their own to my modem and they work fine, but when I try to connect both together I cannot get a connection from the second router. I went into the second routers info page and disabled DHCP and that didn't seem to do the trick. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on what might make this work? I read somewhere that I may have to change the IP address for the second router but wasn't sure. Thanks.

2. andrew444

andrew444 Private E-2

When you say "modem" are you talking DSL, cable or dial-up? Just trying to visualize your setup before making any recommendations...

Andrew

3. Mr Schickadance

My fault, it's a cable modem. I tried what I thought would be the correct way to do it. Connected the main line from the cable modem to the Internet port on Router A, then ran a line from Port 4 on Router A to the Internet port on Router B. I guess something else has to be done just not sure what. Thanks.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Try connecting port 4 on the router to port 4 on the other router.

5. Mr Schickadance

This worked 100%. Thank you so much guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds