Problems copying favorites

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vikingman4456, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

I'm running windows 98se and I am having trouble copying my favorite sites to a floppy disc. I get a message that says "cannot copy screen: The system cannot read from specified defice". I have not had this problem before so I was wondering what the heck could be going on with this? Any Ideas ?

2. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

What procedure are you using to "copy your favorites?" Are you talking about your IE bookmarks?

PK

3. Vikingman4456

I'm trying to copy them from the IE explorer favorites. Mainly all they are is just websites that I often vist and I like to keep them. It is no big deal really I just cannot figure out why it started to do this all of a sudden. I had no problem before and I no it isnt spyware ! Go figure > just a glitch maybe ?? As for the procedure I'm using is the way I've always done it Right click the favorite> send to floppy.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  4. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

The best way to save your IE Favorites is to use the Export Wizard through the File menu. This will save all of them (or the ones you want, if sorted into folders) to an .html file that you can then save to floppy or wherever you want.

I guess I have never done it the way you say you have done it.

PK

EDIT: I have noticed, however, that when it comes time to Import the saved Favorites list, the file must reside in the My Documents folder (at least in my experience).

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Hmmm, I always export them to a USB jump drive, and have always just imported them to the new machine from it without a problem.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Nah, it can be saved anywhere ....desktop ....folder ...usb...floopy ...the import will ask where to look...:)

7. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Hmmmmm.....I guess I will hafta look closer next time.

PK

8. Vikingman4456

Yeah Tim you are right. Always get the right answers here and you cant beat that. Thanks for the help !

9. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Yeah, he's right. (just tried it myself) Am I thinking of the OE address book or I am just going crazy? It seems like there is something that everytime I try to import, it has to be in a certain spot.

PK

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds