Problems Deleting Some Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jun 8, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

I have certain files on my PC that won't delete no matter how I try; via XP or the old fashioned way thru DOS. I cannot access these files, view them, or otherwise do anything with them without getting an error message.
    Delete DR was no help (although it did help me delete a few annoying index and .dat files) and I'm not into spending any $$ unless I'm sure that the software that I buy will work.
    When I try to access, view or delete the aforesaid files, I get a "make sure that the disk is not write protected, and that the file is not in use" error message. These files are not in use, or shouldn't be, unless they are infected with a virus or malware. To that end, I use 2 antivirus programs (RAV and AVG) 2 spyware scanners (AdAware and Spy Protector, which is part of GhostSurf Platinum's Suite), and a few other reg. cleaners, etc.
    The fact that I cannot delete these files makes me distrust them. I usually surf with Ghost Surf/Firefox and with everything turned off, but I need to use IE with Java/Scripting enabled to browse certain sites; e.g. my bank. Sometimes, I forget to logoff IE and logon with Firefox and these are the times when my machine has been bombarded with doo-doo.
    BTW-I have an ECS 865 MB, a 2.8 P4 Prescott, a 120 MB HD with an 8MB cache, and am using XP Pro as my OS. I have a Raidmax tower with a Socket 478 cooling fan, and three other case fans, and a 420W PS. I am online via a cable modem, and I usually use Firefox when surfing, unless I know and trust the site I'm visiting (like this one!) I can't use firewalls for a number of reasons. I have a Netgear router that I don't use; I've heard that they help with security but it seems to bog the machine down when I'm surfing.
    When SPII came out for XP, it crashed my machine, and I'm not sure that my recovery was "clean", so that is likely the root of my problem. In fact, I was so freaked after the SPII crash that I'm still using SPI, even though I appreciate the security concerns. I have so many programs, links, and passwords on this machine that I'm afraid to format my HD and start fresh, because I know that I'll lose some of them in the process.
    After my machine crashed, the performance was noticeably slower, even though I have myriad tools, some free and some not, which are supposed to hop up the machine's performance. Still, it never ran better than it did when I first built it in early Sep. last year. I've thought about overclocking but I'd like to get my baby running sweet like it was before I screw it up even more!!
    Okay, so verbosity beats brevity every time!
    Here's the summary: First, how to "force delete" a file, folder, etc that Windows thinks is in use or write protected, even if it isn't. Even with the XP problem notwithstanding, I have to do this first, cause I can't let those pesky files win! I threw in the stuff about the SPII crash in case it's pertinent, but I know how to resolve that issue, I'm just reluctant to do it.
    Any thoughts are much appreciated.

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

MoveOnBoot will get rid of those files for you.

Also unistall one of your Anti-virus programs they will interfer with each other, even when one is disabled. Pick one, unistall the other.

3. jtone

jtone Private E-2

On the first reply, I'm not sure that DOS is the proper label, but I can still access my OS (B&W screen) and use the same commands that I used to use in DOS (Copy, Deltree, etc). Rebooting in safe mode allows me to "wipe" the files (just like in DOS); in other words, it goes through the motions as if it's deleting the files, but they don't actually go anywhere.
    They are behaving like app or program files even though they are supposedly empty.

On the second reply, the link isn't working, but I'll try to find it on Google, etc. I seem to like AVG better so I'll uninstall RAV and see what happens.

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

5. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Tried to run MoveOnBoot with same results, but I am probably the biggest problem here! Here's the straight poop on the prob:
    The corrupted files are actually corrupted folders, which are (supposedly) empty. I probably shouldn't even worry about them, except for the fact that my machine thinks (or knows??) that they are in use. Some of them I had downloaded, but I've had other existing folders corrupted as well, all of them containing jpegs of some sort. Once the folder becomes corrupt, one of two things happens:
    1) the jpeg is unviewable (e.g. the computer no longer recognizes the format)
    2) the jpeg(s) disappear, but the folder remains, and is unalterable/undeletable.
    For example, I have a "New Folder" which contains 2 sub-folders; all of them empty. I am unable to do anything with these folders; I can't view them, move them, rename them, or delete them. If I try to do anything at all, I get the error msg. "Access Denied......make sure that the file or folder isn't write protected...or in use.." etc etc. I have other folders where some of the jpegs are ok, and others aren't, and I can't delete the bad ones.

Hope this helps

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did you also try MoveOnBoot from Safe Mode?

also this program demo may help.... East-tec Eraser 2005 ( 30 day demo )

once installed be very careful what you delete, open up the app and drag the offending folders onto the main page of the program ( as seen in the screenshot on the download page ) > click Erase All ( a conformation popup will appear double check those are the only folders to be erased ) > then click Erase All again ... you will most likely be prompted to restart your PC to remove the files/folders.

if this fails then Shadow's advice to follow the spyware/malware removal threads is next course of action.

8. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Guys, thanks for the patience and help. I have downloaded all of the programs you recommended (except for the ones I already had) and I have attempted to run the scans online from Trend and Symantic, and I can't get either one to scan, unless I'm really impatient! The screen goes white(Symantec) or white with a red X (trend), and it says to wait a few minutes, but after 15-20 minutes, nothing is happening. (I tried this in safe mode w/networking). I'll reboot in normal mode and see what happens.

BTW-All of the programs that I D/L'd, like Stinger, CCleaner, etc have worked fine.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

ah the Trend scan and Symantec scan may not work as they use ActiveX which FF ( I noticed you use that browser ) doesnt natively come with for security reasons... don know of any alternative for the Symantec Scan but Tredn Europe have a FF friendly scan http://be.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/housecall/housecall_launch.php

I'm at a loss as to why MoveOnBoot or Eraser cannot delete those files/folders, if its not too personal what are those folders names or file types?

10. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Halo, etc.....
    I tried running a Nortan scan with IE6/ActiveX enabled, with same probs. Ran all other software, etc from 'puter's post......The offending folders are in C:\25c........\New Folder\
    Inside "New Folder" are two other folders, something about galleries, and another new folder. All of them are (supposedly) empty, but alas the puter won't let me rename them, move them, or delete them. Now that all of my scans are up, and I'm again in safe mode, I'll try MoveOnBoot again (maybe I didn't run it in safe mode last time).
    I'll report back in a few.

Thanks a million-
    jtone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds