Problems Networking my wireless laptop and PC (Voyager 2091)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ctrl-Alt-Del, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ctrl-Alt-Del

Ctrl-Alt-Del Private E-2

Hi there, I'm trying to set up a network between my laptop and PC.

My PC is connected via ethernet cable to my Voyager 2091 router, and my laptop is connected to it using wireless. Both are running WinXP.

Both machines can access the internet just fine, but when I try to create a home network using the wizard, neither computer can see each other in "View workgroup computers"

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with setting up networks, so if anyone can help, I'd apprecaite it. If there are any questions you want answered I'll be happy to.

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

make sure you use the same workgroup name for each one...and also make sure they both have unique names to identify the machines. make sure you reboot them both after you do this...using the wizard "should" work...there also might be some issue with your firewall(s) Are you using windows' firewall on them? or someother software?

4. Ctrl-Alt-Del

Ctrl-Alt-Del Private E-2

Okay I got it.

I mapped a network drive to one of my folders and then used the "Add a network place" on my laptop and manually entered the directory for z: drive.

Strange thing is, I cannot place the files into the shared folder using the mapped drive, but I can place them into the shared folder using the ordinary my computer->shared folder.

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

you probably have to set permissions on the mapped drive as well as the folder. usually when you set a permission to a drive, it sets the permission to everything in that drive, but i like to check anyway just to be sure. sounds like its just up to the permission settings now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds