Problems on boot up disk corrupted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barryevans, Aug 6, 2009.

1. barryevans

barryevans Private E-2

Recently my computer has been sometimes booting up with one long beep instead of a short one, when it does this nothing is displayed on the monitor but the comp stays on.

I got a pop up saying that the postgressql file was corrupt and unreadable and to run check disk. When i ran it it said that it could not access the disk and then just booted up. I started up msn just this minute and it said a file that it uses was also corrupt.

Pretty stuck on this one, using XP sp3, no viruses etc.

Thanks

2. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

hi there,
    try a system restore back to a date few months earlier ;)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There is nothing noted for one long beep. The only thing I can find is that if it is an Award BIOS, any beeps besides 1 long and two short, indicates a problem with RAM. The 1 long followed by two short would indicate a video problem and since you say the screen remains black are you positive it is simply one long beep? If so, open up the computer and reseat the RAM. If it still happens, I'd try and boot up with just one stick of RAM; it will either be slow or you have the same problem. Then I'd swap sticks putting in the one left out and removing the current stick to see what happens.

Unfortunately if this does indeed turn out to be a hardware problem, system restore would not help. System restore is great for software problems but not hardware.

4. RoyalGeek1

RoyalGeek1 Private E-2

If system restore doesn't work try to repair Windows with your cd. Boot to the cd, then choose to install Windows. Follow the prompts as if you are going to do a complete install until setup searches for a previous version. At that point it will have a choice for pressing "R" to repair Windows. Once this is completed you will find all your settings still intact, only some programs may need to be reinstalled.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds