Problems overclocking an Abit AV8 w/ 3800+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by binez0r, Aug 3, 2006.

1. binez0r

binez0r Private E-2

Hello, first post and first off here are my specs...

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice
    ABIT AV8 Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro
    Thermaltake Volcano Silent Boost [using arctic 5]
    pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR400

ok, my problem is that I am trying to overclock but can't get the HTT on my mobo past 216 without crashing my computer. I have a link to a xlabs article where they have a 12x multiplier set to a HTT of 240 which confuses the hell out of me.

Xlabs tests
    [​IMG]

Now, the main problem I am experincing is a couple of things. First off I don't understand how I can slow down my ram or what not on my mobo to maintain it around 200mhz since its ddr400 and I have read that makes it a problem. Second, I am getting incorrect voltage readouts from cpu-z and central brain indentifier, but correct ones from my mobos monitoring utility....

My current readout
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see I have a correct Vcore readout of 1.525 only in the last application, and well, an HTT of 216.

I would like to get it up to 240 with a 12x multiplier like in the xlab article or 280 with a 10x. In my BIOS there isn't many options for ram. One option I noted is that you can set the ram speed manually, so I guess I would probably set it to Ddr333 speeds of 166mhz and such. Well I did try this and I was able to get up to 224 but I am still concerned about the incorrect voltage readout in cpu-z, and it's not very stable under heavy usage... Also in the BIOS I can adjust the clocks for the RAM, which intimidates me but if there were a good formula to it or logic about how to go about it I would be happy to give it a go. There is no Cpu to RAM ratio option like on some mobos. I also have the AGP and PCI ratios fixed at 66/33 I think is what it's set at.

Anyways, that's where I'm at, I'm confused how to overclock my computer as it is and suspect it's to due the RAM becoming instable. I would also like to know if I should worry about the voltage readouts and if it's not getting the right volts then obviously I won't reach 240. I have the luxury of being able to control the fanspeeds on my cpu cooler which is always nice. I think my case is getting enough cooling with a big 120 fan on the front and 2 80mm fans on the back, in the 2500rpm area, but the sides are off most of the time anyways. Oh, I read the overclocking guide a while back as well and reread it today. Still, I am confused and think I could use some help here...

2. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

up the voltage on your CPU. It should handled 1.55 fine. I know mine does.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds