problems running ME - no suprise i know

Discussion in 'Software' started by wackywelshman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. wackywelshman

wackywelshman Private E-2

Dell Dimension4300.
    P4 cpu 1600 mhz
    1.6G Hard disc
    128M ram
    MS Word 2000
    Total Physical memory 126.96 MB. Available Pysical memory 312 KB.

ok, theres the spec, problem im having is simple, i cant run word, every time i try the system hangs. sometimes i get a "system resources low" error (blue screen), other times i get a "GDI.exe" error, (little grey box).

I have heard that a gdi error means i have to reinstall windows, but all the reports i have read talk about the error happening when windows starts, mine is only when word starts, and then only sometimes....

Is it anything to do with that alarmingly low physical memory? I have tryed ending all tasts other than explorer and systray but it still happens,

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers for your help

Wacky

2. Zyto

Zyto Private First Class

right click my computer and click properties. click the performance tab and then click the file system button. set the role of this computer to network server(this will improve memory management) then turn the read ahead optimization OFF (this feature makes windows constantly guess your next move, and is a system hog) click ok then click the virtual memory button and set the size for the virtual memory at least 3 times the amoutn of physical memory you have a whole gig would be better (1024MB), but you don;t have enough HD space. then reboot. should help a bit. then I would free up as much space and possible and defrag. if it still doesnt want to run I say look into a bigger HD.

3. wackywelshman

wackywelshman Private E-2

brilliant, i'll give it a go, thank you

4. Zyto

Zyto Private First Class

let me know what happens

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds