Problems uninstalling Vista Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Outlawstar15a2, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

I installed Vista SP1 early yesterday I thought it would be an improvement for me but it seems to hate Firefox greatly and I really enjoy using FIrefox. I want to roll Vista back to before SP1 I tried uninstalling the update from Programs and Features once in normal mode. It failed around 35% through step 1. I tried again in safe mode when I got back from college. It failed 100% through step 3. Except for doing it via System Restore I can't think of anything else to do short of a reformat of the drive which I really don't want to do though nothing will be lost of value. What must I do to ensure it goes all the way through? When I did it through safe mode I chose safe mode minimal from msconfig.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

3. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

I didn't do a good job of labeling the restore point I created. If I click a restore point to restore from does it disappear from the list or does it stay there? Also The restore points I'm interested in are at the top of the list I see my manual restore point but I can't remember if I made it before or after the SP1 update so if I chose it will Vista create a restore point before the changes are made or after? Also is it better to use the System Restore wizard in Vista or from the Gateway recovery manager?

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

If I am understanding your questions correctly.....

It stays there

I cannot possibly answer that without knowing when you made those restore points in relation to when you upgraded to SP1. Try a restore point that is dated when you KNOW you hadn't installed SP1. You can find out when you installed it by going to this link using Internet Explorer only http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us and clicking on the "Review Your Update History" in the left hand column. Scroll through the list that appears and read off the date for SP1.

Vista's system restore is what you should be using at this stage.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds