Problems updating Office 2000 and Word 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by cranky old lady, Nov 11, 2005.

1. cranky old lady

cranky old lady Private E-2

I am using WindowsXP, SP2, using MS Office 2000 Premier Ed OSA9.exe and MS Word 2000 v. 9.0.2720. I rarely use either program, or rather Word the only one I do use occasionally and I haven't kept up with the updates.

I have just returned here after looking on MS Update web site to no avail. I only found a fee based support section that was e-mail, have they stopped that service..

Recently needed to update both Office and Word 2000 to get a HP printer to print correctly...or that's what HP told me was the problem. Personally I think it the printer DJ Color 3740. This was a sale too good to be true...

I have proceeded to the point it will print from the Internet, most of the time, but sometimes just the Foreground (titles to me). In Word, I can't get it to print period, it goes through the motions and when it comes out sometimes you can see a faint unreadable type. The Print Test Page is fine, that's why HP said it was an Office and Word 2000 problem.

I dowloaded: Office 2000 KB895333 3-client-enu.exe;
    Word 2000 CKB895333.EXE; O2KSR1a.exe V.4.71.1015.0; O2KSP3.exe V. 5.0.2919.6304; InstMSIw.EXE V 6.0.244...

I got the same response when I tried to execute each one: "The expected version of the product was not found on your system." Using the Properties selection on each piece of software I found the Compatibility Mode and decided this is what they meant. However, the only 'version' that worked with these updates was WIN 95, which I have never used. I used these copies of Office and Word 2000 on my old cpu with WIN 98.

I was able to install all but O2KSP 3. exe (Office 2000 SP3), which is probably the one I need. It prints in color and black in an older graphics program which was written for Win95. I was able to print off something paying bills on line, still nothing like a letter.

Should I not have used the Compatibility Mode for the problem?.
    Any suggestions anyone before I hammer the printer into pieces to send back to HP? Ant help appreciated. cranky

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would be very tempted to un-install Office 2000 and then re-install it again, then update it. When updating are you logged in as Administrator?

Also if you use another program to print from eg. Notepad, Acrobat or an Email from Outlook Express to they print ok?

Compatability mode you shouldnt have to use to install updates to Office, why its not recognising your version is a mystery, but as you can use Microsoft Update in lieu of having to goto Office Update, see if that recognises your installed office and lists updates for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds