Problems updating with (Windows Update, Defender and PC Tools Anti-Virus)

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcchpt, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mcchpt

mcchpt Private E-2

I keep getting notifications that Windows cannot update successfully along with windows defender. I'm getting error code 802440019 and I've tried to update manually from the Microsoft website but I can't get the page to load and open up. I'm also having trouble getting my PC tools anti-virus software to update. I'm thinking this might be a firewall problem or something like that. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I just looked up your error code and it says object cannot be found, so yes it could be a firewall setting, depending on how you set it up, but not likely. Do you have automatic updates turned on, and do they download and just not install?

Read your first thread in Malware Removal, and in that thread you mentioned having McCaffee for an antivirus app, and now you have PC Tools. Did you remove McCaffee with their removal tool, and were you using a stand alone app or a suite? What are you presently using for a firewall? Also noticed that Symantec was mentioned. What products from Norton/Symantec did you use and how were they removed? Sorry for all the questions, but the answers may be helpful. :)

3. mcchpt

mcchpt Private E-2

Thanks for the reply,

I'm actually using a new laptop now. I'm running windows vista. I'm using windows firewall, and the PC tools is the only software that I have installed and been using on this computer. I have automatic updates turned on, but the updates simply aren't able to be downloaded. I've tried to manually download them from the Microsoft website and still no luck. When I click on the link to download the updates, the page opens up saying:

"Page Load Error" Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.microsoft.com. I'm not sure what to do about that.
    Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Not sure what to do, because my internet is working fine, and I've not had any problems loading any other pages. I thought maybe the site was down, but I've been trying for a few days now.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can't download from microsoft sites using Firefox. MS wants you to use Internet Explorer.

5. mcchpt

mcchpt Private E-2

Yeah I guess that would make sense...Those sand-baggin' sons of b*tches

6. mcchpt

mcchpt Private E-2

Check that. I'm still not able to download manually from the microsoft website even with IE.

7. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896226

I know you are running vista but each time I research this problem I keep coming back to the same solution. Read through the solution (which is more of a work around) and see if you can apply it to vista

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

At what service pack level is your Vista? Are you running Vista with SP1 or with no service pack? I know this question probably sounds stupid, but there is a reason. Depending on your answer, you might want to read this, http://www.instantvista.com/vista-update-repair-tool.html. Hope this helps! :)

9. mcchpt

mcchpt Private E-2

I don't think I'm running SP1 because I checked the windows update history and it seems that SP1 installation failed. Would attaching my windowsupdate.log file help anyone figure this out? Although I believe the file is larger than the max file limit.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

11. mcchpt

mcchpt Private E-2

I definitely don't have SP1 installed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds