Problems Wiping Hard-Drive on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Scrich, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Scrich

Scrich Private E-2

My laptop is so full of stuff I don't need (or didn't know I installed) and I just want to start over and reinstall windows. I've tried run:cmd and then format c:. It says the drive is in use or something like that, basically it just won't let me format the drive. I've tried just reinstalling windows but that doesn't delete all the stuff on here I am trying to get rid of. Please help me format my hard drive so I can just start over with windows. Thanks!

P3 1.13 Ghz
    512 MB RAM
    Widnows XP

2. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

You can't do it through Windows command prompt, because Windows is running on the drive. You have to boot into the command prompt without letting windows load to do what you wish. I have never done it with XP so you might need more info from someone who has. I have done it with both 98 and ME, but XP has been so stable for me that I haven't found the need to do this and I have been using XP for almost 5 years on same machine. I keep things clean as a general rule these days so maybe that's why, anyway, good luck.

3. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

4. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

As jujet84 mentioned via her/his link: You'll either need a bootable cd rom -or you'll need to create an XP Setup Boot Disk.
    The link jujet84 provided is great (and now added to my bookmarks)! -I hadn't seen it before but I imagine a lot of ppl would find it super-useful.

5. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

As jujet84 mentioned via her/his link:It's HIS link

6. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

And a darned good one too, bookmarked and passed on.

Thanks jujet84 ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds