Problems with Foxy proxy

Discussion in 'Software' started by didean, Feb 21, 2009.

1. didean

didean Private E-2

Hello
    I downloaded an add on in Firefox called foxyproxy. I have to hold my hands up and admit I did not know what I was doing. I had malware probs for months and this was something I tried to get my IE to work

to cut a long story short, malware probs are sorted thans to Chaslang in Malware.
    I still have problems with my IE settings.

I have now un- installed the add on in Firefox but I think its written some code for IE that automatically makes it use the Proxy server (tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings; (the box for Proxy server is ticked) even if I manually untick it, upon restart of IE, it becomes ticked again.

My IE also says at the bottom that the Internet Protected mode: On

How do I change my IE settings back to normal please?:-o

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Make sure in Add/Remove that this application is not still installed.

Try and see if in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and click the Reset button and see if that helps (only have one internet window and tab open when doing this), then close and re-open IE.

Protected Mode is fine and normal.

3. didean

didean Private E-2

Hi, thanks, however,

Nothing left in the Add Remove programs
    I have disabled it in firefox
    then uninstalled in firefox (as orig installed in firefox)

I followed your advice to completely reset Internet Explorer but still same result on rebooting the pc.

I still have no default access to IE unless I manually untick settings for proxy server. Upon reboot of machine the same settings arise again.

4. DavidGP

Hi

Was your IE ok before installing FoxyProxy or where you havig issues with it?

Try IE in its no-addons mode, you can find this in All Programs > Accessories > System tools, and does it work ok?

Also what startups do you have listed? CCleaner and its Tools > Starup menu can list these, so a screenshot or type them out.

5. didean

didean Private E-2

Hi - Thank you for your response.

Yes I was still having problems with IE before installing the proxy

I ve tried IE with no add ons, same result.

I have tried to do a screenshot in word and upload it but it is 127kb and your foum doesnot except this size. So here they are :

Start up programs :

ATICC
    RtHDVCpl
    synTPEnh
    SSBkgdUpdate
    OpwareSE4
    Windows Mobile-based device management
    LManager
    WarReg_PopUp
    Ad-Watch
    00PCTFW
    avast!
    Empowering Technology Launcher.Ink

Thanks for all your help!

6. DavidGP

Hi

Should have double checked this but I did view your Malware thread and the Windows version you have is Vista Basic? and IE7? and are you trying to make these changes in the Admin account?

Nothing major in your startups so thats good and rules that out, a couple that are useless and could be deleted as they are WarReg_PopUp ~ ACER registration (which you should do and then get this out of the way), SSBkgdUpdate ~ ScanSoft updater for OmniPage, while a valid application many apps dont update alot so this is just wasting processes.

Not running Spybot S&D are you? if so disable it and then reset Proxy off, as Spybot can block some settings from being enabled/disabled.

Check this Registry key for me ProxyEnable its found in this location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings and whats its value is it 1 or 0?

7. didean

didean Private E-2

Hi

Thanks for the reply- I have Vista basic home. Not sure which version of IE but at least 7. How do I check this?

I have loaded Spybot as an installed program but I dont think its running unless I run as administrator specifically. I am not sure how to disable it, the only prompt in CCleaner is to delete completely or when I right click it in All programs too.

Check this Registry key for me ProxyEnable its found in this location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings and whats its value is it 1 or 0?

I ve checked the proxyenable key and its set to 1.

Hope this helps

Thanks

8. DavidGP

Hi

Yes helps a bit so cheers.

As for IE, once open click Help and About on menus, if its not listing then next to Tools will be >> click that and then Help > About, but I suspect you have IE7 as unlikely you will have installed the IE8 beta and IE6 no work in Vista.

I would try uninstalling Spybot, and run CCleaner to clean up the registry keys, run it until noting lists, then try the setting.

Next would be to change that registry key to 0 (just double click the proxyenable key and in Value change it to 0) then reboot and try. BUT before changing right click the Internet Settings folder in the Registry and choose Export and save as backup, shouldnt need it as we are only changing a key thats easily changed back, but alwasy worth backing up.

9. didean

didean Private E-2

hi, thanks,
    I have IE8 Release Candidate version
    I ve just uninstalled Spybot, no effect.

so now going to change the Reg key, will keep you posted.

10. didean

didean Private E-2

Ok. Here's the thing.

I went in and manually changed the registry key for EnableProxy to 0. Checked IE , Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Lan settings, and the tick (that had been there when it should not have been there, was not there. Great.)

I rebooted the computer.

Guess what, the tick has appeared again

I rechecked the Reg Key and its now changed back again to 1.

There are some other keys in the Internet Settings called:

Migrate Proxy
    Proxy Override
    Proxy Server

These keys have "ab" labelled red on the tab.

and my guess is that these commands are deliberately resetting the proxy server.

I tried a screen shot of the Reg Keys but its 168 kb, too big for your site. Is there any way around this ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds