Problems with Mobo/booting after repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jedis_Ghost, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Jedis_Ghost

Jedis_Ghost Private E-2

System Specs:

DFI NF II UAL Mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2500
    512 MD DDR Mem
    MSI MX400D - 64 Vid Card
    120 GB WD HD
    Win XP Pro

A month and a half ago my pc was running fine, then it stopped booting. It would power up but not POST then it would power down a few seconds later. I swapped the power supply with a known good PS and the problem persisted. I contacted the store I purchased the MB at (still in warranty) and they told me to contact the manufacturer (not happy about that) Contacted DFI, got a RMA # sent it out, waited 15 days for it to come back. Before I sent it out I marked the board to see if they would send me the same one back. No they didn't send me the same one back, whats more they sent me a used board (it had dust between the fins on the heat sink, not happy about that either)

I put all the parts back together, double checked all the connections and pushed the button... board powers up, POSTs, HD hums... and nothing after that. Nothing on the screen at all. Also none of the info that displays before the Win splash appeared either.

Re-checked all connections inside and outside, pushed button again...same thing.

Tried to get into the BIOS but forgot that the keyboard that was connected will not have F-Key functions unless the OS running (Driver issue) swapped KB with old one with no such problem. Pushed On button again and the PC started the same thing again, except this time it gave some kind of message about the MB not being configured properly for the processor. This screen flashed to quickly for me to write down what it said. Then PC went back into "Blank mode" Several more attempts to start the machine, access the BIOS or get the screen with the config info have resulted in much frustration. I have yet to see the config info screen again.

I am guessing that whatever processor was attached to this MB before it was sent out was a different speed than mine (Gee, aren't I a genius) I just don't know what to do now to fix it.

This is where I am at. I hope this was enough info and written clearly enough to be useful to whoever attempts to help.

Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,

Jedis_Ghost

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

clear the CMOS. there is a jumper on the board that will do this or you can pull the battery on the board a minute or two. Then try it again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds