Problems with MS Java and Sun Java

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbpathd1, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

I have seen some other threads here about problems with Java. I have two. My problem with MS Java is that I cannot remove it completely. My problem with Sun Java is it works in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2, but not in IE6.

I am almost through the Sticky: How to Protect yourself from Malware! on my Lenovo computer.

I discovered I had MS Java on the computer, no Sun. I verified that the MS Java files to be removed existed. Then I used the removal tool in the sticky. MSJVM Removal Tool 1.0a

Right after, I went on to download the Sun JRE 6 Update 16. I installed it and went through Mozilla to verify Sun Java was working, and it was. However, when I went to IE6, SJ was not working. All I get is the dreaded red X.

Sun provides three different troubleshooting methods: I’ve enabled Java in both browsers, I’ve tried enabling it through Java's control panel and I've cleared both browser caches. I went through all three procedures once, closing and opening browsers, and then a second time, rebooting afterwards. I uninstalled and reinstalled Sun Java and went through all three procedures again, unchecking the choices and rechecking them, but nothing works in IE6. Then I made IE6 my default browser, hoping that would help, and went through everything again—still red X. I guess I could just live with it and use Mozilla most of the time, which I plan to do. However, I’m guessing a time will come when I’ll need Java in IE6, so I wonder if you have any other troubleshooting ideas.

I then went back to verify that MS Java had been removed. Not entirely. I wouldn’t think having some MS Java files still would conflict with Sun Java, but I wanted to ask to make sure. The file java.PNF is still in the C:\Windows\inf folder. The tool removed the files jview.exe and wjview.exe from the C:\Windows\system32 folder and took the MS Java related files out of the C:\Windows\java folder, but left the folder itself with a Citrix Online file g2mdlhlpx.exe. Do I need that file for anything or should it go? I tried running the tool a second time with no better results. Then I thought I’d just use the first method instead of the removal tool. Select Start > Run and Enter "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall" in the Open box, and click ok. However, I get a Microsoft VM uninstall box that states: “If this component is uninstalled, Microsoft Internet Explorer will not be able to download files from the World Wide Web. Do you still want to uninstall the Microsoft VM?” I said no, assuming I might not be able to get Automatic Updates or much of anything else via IE6.

Even after I installed SP3, I still get the red X instead of the coffee cup.

So what should I do?

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello again, bbpathd1, for this issue, I would suggest Secunia PSI, again, because it will help you to avoid this type of situation in the future, by helping you keep your Java updated... You don't have to worry about not knowing what it is doing.. It will tell you... And, also, if something needs to be removed, it will tell you if it needs to be removed, or updated, and even give you the technical stats, and what file to open to get to it...

If it is an update, you just click "FIX IT" and follow the prompts.... I mean, it really IS that good... Yes, it is my best friend.... ;) Wouldn't be without it... It helps you to keep your software up to date... It is a great tool. :major

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I read posts that this one cause some users problems.
    Can you download update 15 instead and see if that works?

4. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

Plodr,

Sorry to take so long to reply back. Had to spend some time in the real world (other than with computer problems) for awhile.

I had put JRE 15 on first and found it did not work--exact same problem. That's why I removed it and tried JRE 16 when I saw it was available. I haven't gone back and tried 15 again. Thought I would try to think about what else might be a problem. I do not think Sun Java is the problem, has to be something else.

Recap: I pretty much finished the rest of Chaslang's sticky on How to protect yourself from malware! I put Antivir Free and Comodo Internet Security (firewall only) on when I removed Trend Micro Internet Security. I installed SP3 and the optional software updates that were at Windows Update for the computer. I still have IE6 (6.0.2900.5512).

Trend Micro OKAVAgent is still residing in the Program Files\Trend Micro folder. The removal tool did not take it away when I ran it after Add/Remove Programs left it behind.

For some reason two days ago, when I tried to use IE rather than Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2, Comodo firewall Defense + in Clean PC mode kept reporting Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe as blocked suspicious attempts. I must have had 60-80 of them. So I have preferred Mozilla for regular use instead.

I am wondering if there was something affecting IE even before I got the malware (And I am still baffled why Trend Micro did not alert me to their presence.). Before I installed Mozilla, I had some Web pages fail to open all the way—some showed just a quarter page in the left upper quadrant of the screen and occasionally others would just open to a blank page, with neither of these giving me access to what I had wanted to see.

I’ve scanned recently with Antivir, Spybot, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and all is clear. I even did Kaspersky Online Scan, but it did not do the antiviral part, just the spyware part of the scan, even though I disabled Antivir. I wondered if the leftover Trend Micro was what prohibited the antiviral scan. I also ran Sysinternals Autoruns and it appears I have a few missing files, although not with IE, I don’t think.

Is there something else you can think of to help me? I am beginning to feel like I exist just to update and scan computers and deal with their quirks.

BTW, love your name.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds